Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
So, taking this piece of trash off, made it act far more like a normal engine.

I live at the bottom of a large hill, it used to just make a lot of noise then whoosh off when the turbo spooled 50 yards up the road.

Now it just climbs the hill, easily, no lag, no slingshot, no drama.

Have my Ender 3 cranking out a cap for it now.

Dishware Tableware Kitchen utensil Gas Plate

Automotive tire Rectangle Drinkware Dishware Serveware

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
So what was it that you removed?

it's pretty cool that you have the machines to make your own parts!
I'm pretty grateful for both the tools and the knowledge of how to use them. I try to share with others as much as possible.

Mercedes calls it an ALDA, which is some kind of acronym in German.

Some folks say it's an altitude compensator, some say it's an emissions device...

What it does, is limit the amount of fuel, and thusly throttle that the pump delivers until boost moves a diaphragm inside it.

I used to take off, up the hill, 3/4 throttle, nothing nothing nothing... really sloow acceleration.... 1800 rpm BAM! Light switch, whoosh, you're at 3500 before you know it.

Trying to do trails that are fully maintained in Yankee Springs, could drive a minivan down, I had to be in low range to keep the RPM up or it would bog, want the clutch slipped.

Now it just accelerates in a normal, linear fashion.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
6,003 Posts
Sounds similar to the afc housing on a 12 valve. Being a fairly old engine, maybe it did not operate as intended either. Sounds like a good upgrade. Did it effect your egt much? I would assume not enough to be any problem as long as you have an adequate intercooler.....

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Sounds similar to the afc housing on a 12 valve. Being a fairly old engine, maybe it did not operate as intended either. Sounds like a good upgrade. Did it effect your egt much? I would assume not enough to be any problem as long as you have an adequate intercooler.....
Yes! I forgot what that thing was called. Exact same principle and arguments around deleting it lol.

It didn't affect my EGT at all, in terms of peaks, I only see like 1200 even pulling out aggressively into traffic, without an intercooler. Even with the bigger elements, the pump, and fuel, seem to be the limiting factor, it doesn't "roll coal" like a Bro-Deezul or anything even now.

It's nice to drive now though, before any low speed stuff, like light to light in the city, was just miserable... People riding my ass because I can't hardly move from light to light, angry zoom around me, just to have me rip by when the turbo lights, now I can just accelerate like a normal person.

I've driven it to work the past two days, and if it had a stereo and AC, I'd daily it lol.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I've put 1900 miles on this over the summer, I'll probably drive it occasionally another month or so before I put it up.

In hindsight, I don't really care about the mileage it get's, but it's still 26-27 mpg. I'm disappointed with the power and rpm range, but not enough to rip it all out and start over.

I have an Elocker I might fit to it over the winter, or maybe I'll just sell it and buy a Spartan, that's about it, maybe finish up the interior and stuff.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
I have often wondered about some of these builds where guys stuff little diesel motors into stuff and brag it up, to the up side you do have a great looking Runner

RBB
If I drove it everyday having 26 mpg on veg oil would matter more to me.

Instead I drive it like 1 day a week and some weekends, so I'd rather have V8 power in hindsight.

·
Gustafson
10,791 Posts
If I drove it everyday having 26 mpg on veg oil would matter more to me.

Instead I drive it like 1 day a week and some weekends, so I'd rather have V8 power in hindsight.
Yeah, I thought when you built this you would drive it a lot more, but since you don't, an LS swap would have been better. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
It was never intended to be my daily or anything, just a weekend warrior.

If you don't mind going 65-70 everywhere, it's pretty fine since I took the stupid ALDA off.

But I have come to like heated wheels, satellite radio, and 80 mph cruising speeds for my 40 minute commute each way.

·
Gustafson
10,791 Posts
It was never intended to be my daily or anything, just a weekend warrior.

If you don't mind going 65-70 everywhere, it's pretty fine since I took the stupid ALDA off.

But I have come to like heated wheels, satellite radio, and 80 mph cruising speeds for my 40 minute commute each way.
Yep, I understand.... I never thought I would like satellite radio as much as I do.... :LOL:

201 - 220 of 235 Posts