Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Unsure, I never overheated it, until it started overheating every time I drove more than 15 miles.

Idk if the prechambers go into coolant, I could have screwed one of them up I suppose.

May have cracked running on the dyno, but it never got hot there either.

There's no oil in coolant, or coolant in oil, so I'm almost certain it's a cracked head and not a failed gasket, no smoke, just a pressurized cooling system.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
The only other thing I'd use is a TDI.

I'm not paying Cummins tax, or dealing with a 4' body lift to fit it.

I'm not at all interested in having half the power.

If I had to do it all over again, or if I decide to pull it and use something different, it'll be a TDI.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
^^^^^ I thought you said if you were to do it all over again you would have done a V8 swap because you don't drive it very much. :LOL:
It would certainly be the easiest, since I have 4 different LS engines sitting around and years of experience with them.

I'm just really bored with them, and really bored with the same questions from different people.

Any Toyota engine, and any Cummins engine are 100% out of the question for me though.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
I'm going to get an ALH Volkswagen TDI this Saturday.

I don't know if I'm going to use it, but it's cheap enough that I'm going to take it and sit on it while I watch for a cheap head for this one until spring.

Still runs, starts, drives fine, as long as you don't let everything get up to temp lol.

It's definitely pushing exhaust into the coolant immediately on start up though.

Snow Vehicle Car Sky Tire

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
That sucks that it had to go right now... I would think it would be a great snow bomber...

The TDI sounds interesting, I can't wait to see what you do with it.
It still runs and drives as is, I was just doing donuts in it Saturday lol.

This engine doesn't have a timing cover, makes holding the chain up and pulling the head off with the timing in tact a pain in the dick I'm not going to tackle in the snow.

And it's rare-ish, so I can't just hop on ebay and buy a replacement. Not for a reasonable cost anyway. 800 for a bare used head, is unreasonable to me. There are two of these engines in local yards though, and the head would only be 25 bucks, I'd just have to take all day to pull it in the cold...

So idk, I'm still going back and forth lol.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Pulled a head today, sucked as much as I expected it to.

Appears to be uncracked, I guess I'll send this one off for all the things, rather than just slapping it back on like I normally do.

Automotive tire Hood Wood Tire Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
It would certainly be the easiest, since I have 4 different LS engines sitting around and years of experience with them.

I'm just really bored with them, and really bored with the same questions from different people.

Any Toyota engine, and any Cummins engine are 100% out of the question for me though.
What is your beef with Toyota engines? I have had great luck with the 22RE, 3.4L and the 4L all of which I whipped the ever living dog shit out of only to have them come back for more.

RBB

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
6,003 Posts
^^^^ Same, I have kinda become a yota fan. They just plain build good shit. The 3.5 in my lexus is such a sweet motor, would love to build a buggy with one.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
What is your beef with Toyota engines? I have had great luck with the 22RE, 3.4L and the 4L all of which I whipped the ever living dog shit out of only to have them come back for more.
Nothing.

I'm not using one for this build. Or any other build. If you want to, more power to you.

This build, is staying diesel powered, and since money is a thing in my life, any Cummins is out of the question even if it wasn't 5x the size of the engine I have.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,384 Posts

RBB
I know very little about toyota engines, however being an armchair internet mechanice, i've always read and heard great things about the 22RE and all those. Think just as much good about them as the 4.0L straight 6 chrysler and 5.7L 350 gm

221 - 235 of 235 Posts