Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I punted my XJ because my niece didn't want it, and I put a big dent in the wifes brand new WK2 at Land Between the Lakes, I thought I'd get another wheeler/DD.

So when this 4runner came up on marketplace for 1200, I pounced. Apparently a bunch of people flaked, surprise, but the second day I was able to get it.

I guess the hood is a repo the dude just never painted.

Had a blown fusible link and isn't firing the fuel pump when cranking. It's an 88, 22re, auto, 91k on it.

Pulled it home without issue,

Jumped the main relay, hot wired the pump, drove it off the trailer. Pretty excited, I've always wanted one.

Parking brake seems to be dragging, blew the main brake line to the rear driving off the trailer, I did run it up to 60 to make sure it goes through all the gears, it's pretty ok. I'll probably drive it down to the house next weekend, pull the tank, fix the brake line, and coat the frame, which is all present and accounted for amazingly.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Nice I always wanted to pick up one of those. I'm looking forwarded to seeing what you do to it.

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
Wait, did I miss something? Your niece didn't want to the XJ you put all that time and money into? That's a real shame. Why didn't you keep that and wheel it?

Either way, nice score!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait, did I miss something? Your niece didn't want to the XJ you put all that time and money into? That's a real shame. Why didn't you keep that and wheel it?

Either way, nice score!
Well, the XJ came with rules, like have a job, pay your own insurance, don't be a jerk to your parents.... Or I'll cut the roof off it in front of you and make a buggy out of it.

Since she knew that threat was 100% real, she decided to weasel a vehicle out of her stepdad instead. He and I talked about it, I explained I didn't care what route she chose, and he bought her a Liberty.

Then she did something to piss him off and now has nothing lol.

I would have kept it, the price I put it up for was double what I had into it. When it went for full price in a few hours, well I'm not that stupid, sold!

At least the top comes off this thing lol. Also, I fit in it better than I did the XJ. The sunroof trim in that crashed into my head.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,428 Posts
In for the updates. Look forward to see what you do with it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This weekend I brought it down to the house to see if I could make the fuel pump run correctly.

Toyota powers these in an odd way, there's a main relay that powers a relay up to switch the pump on while cranking, then once running, the MAF (Toyota calls it an Air Flow Meter), that has a little trap door, that as long as it's open, continues to hold the same relay open. No air to the engine, must mean it's stalled, and doesn't need fuel.

They also power the entire truck through an 80a fusible link, that in turn feeds an 80a fuse... Weird...

Anywho, I had a buddy who's an actual mechanic come out and help me with his fancy Snap On probe. We didn't find literally anything wrong, everything functioning fine, all FSM tests passed. I'm guessing, the fusible link had a bare section on it when I bought it... I'm assuming that touched something and knocked everything out.

While looking at the harness, I got sidetracked with all the vacuum lines and switches, and pulled the EGR and AIR system off though.

Since the plates are only 20 bucks, I'm not going to waste an hour of my time making them, so I guess it'll sit here in the driveway until they show up.

20200814_163758.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what is that from?
A bunch of it is just coating that was inside the frame. There's no drain hole that's larger than a dime on this frame, I drilled a hole over the kickup to spray oil in, and felt all that poo in there.

Stuck a scope in and the whole rail had a layer laying in the bottom. So I guess they really do rust from the inside out?

I blew/vacuumed it all out last night.

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
I see now. I guess I needed more coffee, I didn't know what I was looking at at first... :LOL:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frame restore is going well, brushed a heavy coat of paint on last night, will spray a coat with HLVP today to make it nicer.

Weld the frame closed again and undercoat and that part is done.

Have paint on the way, going to work on fender patches today also.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fender holes,I just cut the loose stuff off, buzzed it all down bare,and used fiberglass.

I know it's not everyone's favorite choice, but it's a 4runner I'm going to drive all winter,not a Hemi Cuda.

I've got 2 gallons of Raptor liner coming in shortly for paint.

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
Are you going to do the whole vehicle in Raptor liner?

Also, you said this is a winter beater? For some reason I thought this was going to be a wheeler?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you going to do the whole vehicle in Raptor liner?

Also, you said this is a winter beater? For some reason I thought this was going to be a wheeler?

Except the top, yes.

For me, both are the same. I tend to flat tow my wheeler behind my truck camper and go explore with it.

So it's never getting 40's and tons, but I'll care a lot less about rubbing it against a tree than I do my wife's new Grand Cherokee lol.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Almost forgot, I picked up this 5 speed, and all the assorted goodies to swap it for 50 bucks yesterday.

This goes with some of my longer term plans,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts