Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Unluckily, this weekend our fun got cut a little short and we only had an hour or so to work on the jeep.

In the short amount of time we got to work on it, we did get the axles off of the frame.

We also got a little help from the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Project Heep CJ7

We are leaning towards building a 609 using 05+ Ford SD outers and axles. The only real issue I see is the tube diameter of the SD60 is 3.75" while the diameter of the 9 is 3" making the inside diameter of the inner C's too big. I'm not a machinist, but imagine we are able to overcome this. So, to our machinist/fabricator friends... what would be some methods to work around this?

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
We are leaning towards building a 609 using 05+ Ford SD outers and axles. The only real issue I see is the tube diameter of the SD60 is 3.75" while the diameter of the 9 is 3" making the inside diameter of the inner C's too big. I'm not a machinist, but imagine we are able to overcome this. So, to our machinist/fabricator friends... what would be some methods to work around this?

It wouldn’t be hard to make a 3” ID 3.75” OD sleeve.
What is the ID of the super duty axle tube? You might be able to find someone that could bore it out to 3” and that way you wouldn’t even have to cut the weld on the knuckle

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Project Heep CJ7

ID of the SD tube is 2.75" however been researching more and now considering chopping up the SD axle to make it into a passenger drop standard width and using stock axles . I found a supplier with reasonable pricing for the 2.75" DOM that I can use as an internal sleeve. Standby for more to come...

·
Low Range Drifter
8,142 Posts
Previously built a 9" with spidertrax 3.5" housing and used the sleeve method on the 05 super duty outers. Sold that rig, but it worked for me.

My 05 super duty is 3.75 OD, 3/8 wall. Not sure if the 10-lug stuff has thicker tubes.

I have looked at online builds where they grafted the two tubes together. Sometime using a slug for alignment and extra metal to weld to.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have looked at online builds where they grafted the two tubes together. Sometime using a slug for alignment and extra metal to weld to.

This is what I'm thinking too. Considering there aren't many out there, we probably looked at the same builds.

·
Dirty South
983 Posts
ID of the SD tube is 2.75" however been researching more and now considering chopping up the SD axle to make it into a passenger drop standard width and using stock axles . I found a supplier with reasonable pricing for the 2.75" DOM that I can use as an internal sleeve. Standby for more to come...

like.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Jack will update later, but we have a pair of wide track axles for sale. 2.72 ratio and both open. Code D is stamped on the rear and assuming the front is the original match. $250 for the pair and they are available now. Adding them to Craigslist and the for sale section tomorrow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Project Heep CJ7

Today was a very good day for my Heep. Today, I bought 2005+ ford super duty axles. The rear has a locker, they were $250 out the door and were VERY heavy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Marching band season is finally coming to an end after four long months!!! We took 1st in State’s this year and we are marching in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day in NYC next week, it was an awesome year for sure.

Anyway, we are ordering the frame material so we get started and I’m wonder if anyone has opinions. The front and rear will be 2 x 4 x .125 and the center will be 2 x 6 to help get closer to flat. I’m wondering if I should go .188” for the center or will .125” be thick enough. What do you think?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think you will be glad to have heavier wall with the V8 and heavy axles. More material to weld and mount links and cross members. Less twist under stress. Etc.

21 - 40 of 146 Posts