Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a while for somebody that sells a rear axle bracket set (similar to the ones people buy for swapping a 44 or a 8.8 into a TJ) for a ZJ. Anybody know anybody that makes or sells these?

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
Shawn, I've never seen any just for a ZJ. I believe people just make the TJ kits work for a ZJ. Or make their own, or cut the stock ones off and reuse them. Sorry I'm not of much help.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
cut em off a stock axle.

4bangler just got done doing this for his 8.8 swap

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I have been looking for a while for somebody that sells a rear axle bracket set (similar to the ones people buy for swapping a 44 or a 8.8 into a TJ) for a ZJ. Anybody know anybody that makes or sells these?
Since the 8.8 or 44 will have bigger tubes just take careful measurements and cut the brackets off your 35. You will still have plenty of metal left to clean up the brackets and install them.

If you need someone with a plasma cutter to do it, bring your 35 the shop. We will drink beer and cut stuff :woot:

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the 8.8 or 44 will have bigger tubes just take careful measurements and cut the brackets off your 35. You will still have plenty of metal left to clean up the brackets and install them.

If you need someone with a plasma cutter to do it, bring your 35 the shop. We will drink beer and cut stuff :woot:
I have the D44A, and it's getting LOUD! But yeah, I'm thinking just cut off the brackets and put them on the new axle. And since I don't give a crap about the axle housing I am just going to hack the crud out of it. If I had a nother vehicle, I would just bring both axles to you and have them done. But that would be tough to do.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
With a small cutoff wheel I am sure you could get to all the welds. If your good with a torch that would work too.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only difference is the sway bar link brackets.
Hmm, it's been a while now, but it sure seemed like there were more differences then just that. I know my abs didn't work anymore, and I was real close to rubbing my tires on the coil buckets, the 8.8 is a little narrower than a stock Jeep rear axle.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
Hmm, it's been a while now, but it sure seemed like there were more differences then just that. I know my abs didn't work anymore, and I was real close to rubbing my tires on the coil buckets, the 8.8 is a little narrower than a stock Jeep rear axle.
Coil buckets are on the frame. A 32x11.50 tire on a stock rim on a stock axle will rub with weight in the rear. The 8.8 is narrower and you should use spacers (or wheels with less backspacing). As far as axle brackets, the ZJ sway bar and TJ sway bar are the only difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts