Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at work, don't have the time to do a search; but, could someone school me on proper door removal. Looking to go to tube doors, then winter wheel with them back on. Pics would help, don't want to screw up the wiring on my '97. Thanx:confused:

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
There is a wiring harness connector behind a rubber boot on each door. Pop the boot, disco the wiring harness, then remove the doors. Just remember that a ZJ is uni-body. The doors provide some amount of structural rigidity. You may be more prone to tweaking/twisting the uni-body without the doors. I twisted mine a bit even with the doors in place. I have a set of black doors from a '96 Limited sitting in the barn if you want to try to do some sort of summer chopped doors. If you come get them, they are yours for free and I will even help load them up.

·
GVSU Jeeper
1,352 Posts
DOORS ARE NOT PART OF THE UNI-BODY SUPPORT STRUCTURE ON ZJ's OR WJ'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However the rear hatch is and should NOT be removed.

·
Insomniac
1,117 Posts
I wish I saw the free doors a week ago! I'm making a set of chopped doors for SL, should be done by Monday, I'll post pics when done. Keeping the latch so they will close alright. And Blaine is right, you can wheel Grands doorless. If you hit something hard enough to tweak the unibody, doors or not, it'll tweak it.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
DOORS ARE NOT PART OF THE UNI-BODY SUPPORT STRUCTURE ON ZJ's OR WJ'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However the rear hatch is and should NOT be removed.
thanks blaine. if you want to get an idea of just how much the unibody tweaks during flex, ramp your zj, then open the back hatch. then try to close it. lol. i run mine without doors all the time, its super easy to pull the doors off. the easyest way to remove\replace the doors is to roll down the window a bit, run a stap through the window and hang the door while you put the bolts back in.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks blaine. if you want to get an idea of just how much the unibody tweaks during flex, ramp your zj, then open the back hatch. then try to close it. lol. i run mine without doors all the time, its super easy to pull the doors off. the easyest way to remove\replace the doors is to roll down the window a bit, run a stap through the window and hang the door while you put the bolts back in.
Thanks, doors coming off tonight.:woot:

·
GVSU Jeeper
1,352 Posts
I have opened my hatch with one tire off the ground. Now it doesnt close right all the time :bdr2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts