Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Now I Got a V8!
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/17/1523214&from=rss

Sucks, I just made a video of me and some friends snowboarding, uploaded it onto Youtube and the damn thing was muted. Doesn't really seem right because it's not like I'm trying to put it out there for people to steal. I think the right approach would be to stop people from downloading audio from the videos.

I don't see why they are getting their panties in a bunch. If I bought the music and put it in there and legally purchased it in the store and ripped it onto the computer or bought it off of itunes shouldn't I have the right to do what I will with it? I mean it's not like they'd lose any money from me if I purchased the music. The digital rights laws in my opinion are fucked up.

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,563 Posts
When you buy the CD or buy the music on itunes you agree to the license agreement... Ive never read it, but im sure there is something in it about that.

·
Now I Got a V8!
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, that it actually IS in violation but I just think that the agreements and everything should give a little more concession to the purchaser. I believe as soon as you buy something you purchased legally that you aren't considered a "user" anymore you are in fact the owner of that particular content (on that cd or track) it's a separate disk from the person next to you.

Now if your buddy give you a copy of the cd that should still be considered illegal. Will the company know about it or not? Probably not. But thats what copy protection is for and it is up to the recording company to detect theft. Instead of suing people they should be investing in better copy protection methods.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
well, you bought the cd, so you do own that cd...you do not own the music or information that is on it...then there is the fact that you have to follow youtube's rules to use thier site, so ultimatley it is thier decision...

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
well, you bought the cd, so you do own that cd...you do not own the music or information that is on it...then there is the fact that you have to follow youtube's rules to use thier site, so ultimatley it is thier decision...
x2. Its not youtube. It's the music/movie companies that threaten to sue youtube. I hear they got some software that automatically goes through each video and searches for songs, copyrighted images, videos etc. And it gets taken care of if its in violation.

I actually read an article on one of my electronics blog that the RIAA was trying to go after people that actually converted the music they bought on cd to mp3 even thoguh they weren't sharing it. Only using it on their own personal MP3 players. (Not sure how they found out about it). I thought it was bullshit whether the RIAA was in the right or not. According to what I read they had the right to go after them. I couldn't find if they won the case or not.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
x2. Its not youtube. It's the music/movie companies that threaten to sue youtube. I hear they got some software that automatically goes through each video and searches for songs, copyrighted images, videos etc. And it gets taken care of if its in violation.

I actually read an article on one of my electronics blog that the RIAA was trying to go after people that actually converted the music they bought on cd to mp3 even thoguh they weren't sharing it. Only using it on their own personal MP3 players. (Not sure how they found out about it). I thought it was bullshit whether the RIAA was in the right or not. According to what I read they had the right to go after them. I couldn't find if they won the case or not.
pretty sure they lost the case, when you buy a CD, you buy rights to the music, you can do what you want with it for your personal listening pleasure, you just can't make it public, thats all.

·
Now I Got a V8!
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I can go buy 100 blank CD-R's for the price of a normal cd. If I have no right to the content even though I paid for it, What is the point of even buying a CD? I think the person should have full rights minus unreasonable public distribution (bittorrent, limewire, etc.). I mean really, what is the point in not letting people use music by big name artists in their youtube videos? Do they really think that individual users are going to pay them royalties for their little 4 minute compilation of video?

I can fully understand why Youtube is doing this but I think someone has to go after the record companies and get some solid laws and regulations that have a little more even ground for the consumer and the record company. After all, they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the consumer.

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
Well I can go buy 100 blank CD-R's for the price of a normal cd. If I have no right to the content even though I paid for it, What is the point of even buying a CD? I think the person should have full rights minus unreasonable public distribution (bittorrent, limewire, etc.). I mean really, what is the point in not letting people use music by big name artists in their youtube videos? Do they really think that individual users are going to pay them royalties for their little 4 minute compilation of video?

I can fully understand why Youtube is doing this but I think someone has to go after the record companies and get some solid laws and regulations that have a little more even ground for the consumer and the record company. After all, they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the consumer.
Yes you're supposed to. I had to do a 3-D animation that was 30seconds long for www.usfirst.org for our robotics team. One of the rules for the competition was that any music in the video that had a copyright had to have the permission of the author in writing for proof. We wanted to use the music from the Matrix "Lobby Scene." We contacted them and told them it was for educational use and what not and that only 30 seconds of it would be used. They wanted $100 for it. We pretty much told them to F off. :bdr2:

·
sɐƃǝʌ sɐן
8,589 Posts
the way around it let the 1st 10 sec of the video be mute or skipped before any sound cus the way the bots are the look for the 1st 10 sec for music that is Copy Righted

·
"RHINO ZJ"
760 Posts
I just went through the same thing. I had to try 3 different songs before it finally accepted.

I even tried to change the tags on the music and save it as a different file name with my music editiing software, but what ever checks it, picked it up, gave it a name close to the song but still had the right atist. It was a pain, but it's all good now.

Thanks for the way around it, I will have to remember that in the future.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
Just about everyone knows a 'musician'- you know, the guy with a guitar and a few buddies looking for a big break- have them do some original music for ya!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

you have teh right to listen to the cd, and use its content for your own, PRIVATE use...if you went out and bought a movie on DVD, would you expect to be able to upload that on the net?

·
Resident Jerkoff
1,959 Posts
Actually, the DMCA allows you to make ONE backup copy of your original purchase, without punishment. You have to own the original, and the RIAA can do nothing about it. Copywrite protection actually breaks the law, as any digital medium is allowed this freedom. What if your $15 CD is ruined by a scratch? If you can save yourself by making your legal, legit backup, you are still within the law.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts