Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Livin in Cal-tuckey
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a guy, that EVERY year shows up to Fun In The Desert (event), refuses to pay his entry fee, and wheels the trails 'with the group' anyway. What I mean by 'with the group' is that he'll pick a trail (lets just say - Jackhammer) and he'll set off 30 minutes prior to the group's planned run. Then when he gets himself into a fix, and he always does, the group ends up bailing him out of it with winches and/or help because there is NO way to bypass on those trails. If he wasn't helped, the group wouldn't be able to do their run that they paid for. Then he leaves about 4 hours prior to the end of the event and doesn't help with clean-up. I'm fixin to shoot his ass.

The guys personality is fine, he's an okay dude. Just cheap as hell and doesn't think he should have to pay for an event that is held on public land. The camping is open and free, you just need a state sticker, so he camps outside the group by about 200 feet. The thing that really jerks my chain about this guy is that he is LOADED with cash. His Jeep is badass (bought not built), his gigantic motor home/toy hauler is top of the line. He owns like 3 contracting companies, one corporate, one residential and one is 'marine' (guess they build harbors or something).

He does it every goddamn year...

·
The guy Dale doesn't know
4,182 Posts
run a fake trail map to everyone, then when he takes off down the trail, pass out the real trail guide. he'll get stuck and no one will have to help, cause you'll be on a different trail.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,447 Posts
Simple, tell him that when he pays the event fee you will help him. If not, turn around and leave him there.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
run a fake trail map to everyone, then when he takes off down the trail, pass out the real trail guide. he'll get stuck and no one will have to help, cause you'll be on a different trail.
x2 you'll also be able to help yourself to his camp fridge when you get back :thumb:

Simple, tell him that when he pays the event fee you will help him. If not, turn around and leave him there.
If he's got this level of classiness not sure I'd bother with that. In fact, not sure I'd hook up to him in the first place, he sounds like the type that would be prone to sue people for helping out if things go wrong. He hasn't signed the group's waiver I'm betting as an example...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Block his rig in with other rigs not going on the scheduled run. It's public land, they can park their rigs anywhere then as they want, too bad if he can't move. After the scheduled run leaves the campground, unblock him. He'll get the message.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
sabotage his rig overnight if it is bought and he has that much money chance are it will be rather easy to confuse him.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
shoot him

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
If he's got this level of classiness not sure I'd bother with that. In fact, not sure I'd hook up to him in the first place, he sounds like the type that would be prone to sue people for helping out if things go wrong. He hasn't signed the group's waiver I'm betting as an example...
x2

I think this is why permits for organized events are required and they close trails down to a group.

I would simply tell him our insurance does not cover you for extractions not being on the event and leave him there. That way you're being polite about it, but also not helping him.

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
X what ever then when he gets back ask him how his day went and laugh

·
Livin in Cal-tuckey
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sounds like some of you guys have run into this problem as well.

Technically speaking...when we get a trail permit for the area for the weekend, we "own" it. Yes it's public land, but we've 'rented it' for the weekend with the permit. If it really came down to it, we could have his ass towed. None of the group wants to do that...we were just trying to figure out a way to get him to fork over the $65. I was hoping you guys had some sort of compelling argument to get him to unass the cash. The insurance bit wouldn't work for us, because it's not required out here. I think part of the reason you guys have to have the group insurance is because Michigan is a no-fault state isnt it? I dunno, all I know is we don't have to get it.

If we don't get his ass of the trail ahead of us, we can't use the trail and I'd have paid my $$ for a cancelled trail run. THAT aint gonna happen. I wasn't present at the time, but I heard this last weekend a guy's rig had to be hauled off the mountain with the deuce-an-a-half. Hopefully someone got pictures.

I'll keep thinking about it...at least I have a year to think.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,272 Posts
boots for rent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts