Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
First assembly

unfortunately I must have thrown the intermediate clutch wave plate and pressure plate away. Have them on order from Grand Rapids. Hopefully I’ll have for the weekend so I can finish this up.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Been a slow go with this tranny. Again DO NOT PULL THE BUSHINGS OUT IF THEY ARE GOOD! lol.

The rebuild kit came with the wrong rear stator bushing. Saw Amazon sold the complete bushing set to rebuild the trans so I bought that since it would be delivered the next day. I open the package and see 2 bushings are missing.... fuuuuuuuuck! It was of course one that I needed. So I had to drive back to Dearborn and grab one. They went to a bigger OD...VERY SLIGHTLY bigger...in the later years. The one I had would just slip in with no tension.

New pump pressure spring....much mo better.

Put it all together and threw the front housing on. End play is rite around .10 so its good to go. Now to work on the valve body. What else could go wrong?

Oh yeah, found a crack on the bellhousing. Its the dowel pin locator hole. Should not be an issue.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
😂. Thanks and no thanks haha. If this last me a season or two I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That crack looks like someone let the transmission and transfer case hang by the dowel pins unsupported. Like a guy at a junk yard rippin' the trans out as fast as possible. That would seem to be the only way that hole could crack like that. Too many bolts holding it in place for an engine or drive-train torque issue.

Like others have said - great build thread! I'm enjoying reading along as well. Thanks!

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
e a guy at a junk yard rippin' the trans out as fast as possible. That would seem to be the only way that hole could crack like that. Too many bolts holding it in place for an engine or drive-train torque issue.

I think you are correct on that. I'll just run it as is. I put vice grips and its hard to move to make the crack bigger. Still has a lot of meat.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Picked up new tool. 3/8 Digital torque wrench from HF. Seems pretty nice but I have yet to use it. I like the fact that it goes down to 5 ft/lbs. My click style starts at 25 and there are plenty of times I'd like it to go lower.

Started welding up the front axle today while it was super nice out!

Triple passed the coilover mount because why not?

Will fully weld the truss to the tube another day.

My Miller 211 was doing a lot of work today. Like my sticker? LOL

Tore into the valve body. You can see all the crap that the trans had. Nice metal paste.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
For the price, I think grabbing HF 1/4 and 3/8 clicker torque wrenches is a good idea. I have used my 3/8 on lots of beadlock bolts and the 1/4 on engine fasteners like intakes and fuel rails.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
I bought kobalt 3/8 and 1/3 clickers. They work great and are nicely made. Just needed an exscuse to buy a new tool since it’s been a little while 😂

I did purchase a HF 1/4 in/lb click style for when i did my 46re. Seemed to be spot on for torque value.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts