Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Ugh... I really need to make the turbo fit up. I will miss these sounds.

The jeep before I tore it apart for this build.

Always fun getting the exhaust to glow.

Won't be the last flop.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hit my first real snag while working on the front suspension. Since I have never really done this.... I'm learning as I go on what to check. I was able to set the coilovers up so the coil would not hit the frame at full droop. However, while the other side is in full compression.... you can't turn because it hits the coilover. DOH!

If I make the mounts 1" taller, it seems to clear. So that is what I'll do. I also need to re-do the bump pad as it does not touch the bump stop when its fully compressed.

How important is it to have the heim ball in the center? It does not bind at all or even come close to at full droop/compression. Pay no attention to my awesome TIG welds lol.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,995 Posts
In the center doesn't matter. Looks great thus far! One inch taller tabs don't matter at all either, she's really coming along great

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
In the center doesn't matter. Looks great thus far! One inch taller tabs don't matter at all either, she's really coming along great

Good to know! Thank you! It took me forever to come to that conclusion on to just making the mounts higher. I was dreading having to cut the hoops and making new that angled out more. This is why it's good to settle down, step back and ponder on it for a few hours/day.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Drew up new mounts.... i went through 6 revisions..... moving the hole over 3/8", 1/4" more, than moving the hole up...etc. Perks of having a 4' x 4' cnc plasma table in your garage.

Time to cut

Need to clean out the water tray....get new slats and add some water.

Need to change out the consumable. I don't really cut thick metal so I only have finecut consumables on hand for <12 gauge.

Few trials.... used 12 gauge since I have a lot of it laying around.

Full passenger side compression and driver side full droop. Steering full lock RIGHT. There is NO stop set.

This is full lock LEFT...again no stop set.

Passenger side full droop and driver side full compression. Checking to ensure the spring clears the frame.... it does.... clearance is clearance... haha.

I'll fully weld the tab to the knuckle, tube and truss. Maybe bend an L for a brace for further support.

Love the smell of gear oil and the mess it makes from moving the axle around.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,995 Posts
Looks awesome! My only critique is to put some drainage spots in at the axle mounting point. Otherwise it might be a bitch to clean that portion out. Just a small half moon should work on one side.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,268 Posts
Looks good. Don't be surprised if that spring rubs occasionally. I found that flexing in the garage is not the same as flexing under load.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Looks awesome! My only critique is to put some drainage spots in at the axle mounting point. Otherwise it might be a bitch to clean that portion out. Just a small half moon should work on one side.

GREAT ADVICE! I'll grind a notch in, or just not fully weld the corner.

Looks good. Don't be surprised if that spring rubs occasionally. I found that flexing in the garage is not the same as flexing under load.
Thank you and that makes total sense. I don't mind if it rubs a little, just don't want it putting a ton of stress on the shock body. Also, with limiting straps, It won't fully flex like this anyhow.... or so I think?

Nice cut quality on that plasma table. Looks like you've spent time tuning it in.
Thanks! It took me a loooong time to get it dialed in. My machine uses belts so if I have it change direction to fast, it will leave the cuts wavy. I just program it to slow by x% before a x* turn so it comes out well. Book cut settings in the Hypertherm 45xp manual is SPOT ON.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,995 Posts
Limit straps stretch over time, make sure to account for it when you order them.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Limit straps stretch over time, make sure to account for it when you order them.

Is this still true for an actual limit strap? I have installed some trail gears ones recently and they are super thick. I also used these clevis adjusters to really get it where I wanted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,995 Posts
Love the adjuster idea. Mine are Kartec brand, they've stretched a bit. I would assume that regardless of the brand the fabric is all about the same.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I know there is an equation to figure out the overall needed limit straps...and I guess I never figured they would stretch over time. Makes perfect sense. I do love the adjustment idea.... Looks like you can get something similar here: 3/8 X 3/8 Clevis

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
This is what I bought.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Sweet! I'll have to get some ordered up. Love the idea for adjustment!!. I'll just cover it with silver anti seize lol.

Pulled out the 1410 driveshaft parts to figure out measurements.

Hank Hill keeps me company late at night in the garage.

Got around to fixing the driver side coilover mount. Stacking tolerances lead to this.... Pretty dang close.

Compared to the pass. side.

Decided to re-do the mounts....again... lol. Much...much simpler.

Been using this a lot lately....it gave off some china smoke so I'll just replace it with a DeWalt like I should have bought to begin with.

I bought my 7075 1.5" steering links from WOD. So those should be here next week and I can finish up the steering. Also bought the orbital and PSC can/filter from them. Just need to figure out how to mount the orbital and the parts needed to make up a steering column. I definitely want it on the other side of the firewall.

Summit is delivering my new fuel pressure regulator (old one could never keep a steady pressure), AN fittings to plumb the fuel system and AN fittings and hoses for the cooling system plumbing. Getting the little WINS is a nice way to make a big dent on the project.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Built the upper radiator hose. -16 AN 90* off the pump to a -16 AN straight to the radiator. What a PAIN it was to tighten these fittings to the hose. They got scuffed slightly, but I don't really care about the looks. I bought a vice clamp and some AN wrenches to help build the others.

The bottom hose is going to be fun... Bought another 90* so it will be -16 AN 90* off the pump to a -16 AN 90* to the radiator. It will have the loop up or down.

·
Gustafson
9,575 Posts
Just noticed King of the Hill. I love that show! I was so bummed when it went off the air.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts