Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
641 - 659 of 659 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,276 Posts
To me that chart seems useless. It basically says every conceivable pattern is OK.

All of your patterns are at the top of the tooth = too much backlash.
Your drive side is towards the ID of the ring = too deep. Note, I like deeper than shallow but that's a bit excessive.
This is my front D70 pattern.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Are you putting resistance on the ring gear or pinion when your turning it to check the pattern? I have found that turning the ring gear and putting resistance on the pinion seems to work best. I also usually have pretty good look with an impact on the pinion for 30 seconds or so and resistance on the ring gear. I would definitely recommend using actually gear checking compound as well. You may be able to add some oil to yours to thin it up a little bit.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #647 ·
lol, I did hear about the baby stuff. I was using my hand to add resistance...but I'm sure I could add more. I did plan to mix some gear lube next time. I'm just going to check it one or two more times then say F it and run it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Aka, you're a pussy and need more pressure to get a good pattern.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
It's not that IMO. Look at the up close pic below. His contact pattern is going through the marking compound without issue. I think the shade of the compound is the issue. Yellow or white is the best way to get a good indication of what's going on.
Azure Cloud Textile Automotive tire Tints and shades

You can clearly see the gear itself through the compound, it's just not easy to see with the color(that's coming from a color blind person lol) of the compound IMO. If he wasn't putting enough pressure on the setup during pattern marking, you wouldn't see through the compound very well...

@Plato2k5 try it with the desitin (not creamy) and you'll see a huge difference. I'm with @whiterhino and you're a bit deep.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
It looks the same to me in person between the yellow I used and this blue. Maybe the camera is just not picking it up as well.

I'll pull a shim and see where it settles. I agree it is deep.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It looks the same to me in person between the yellow I used and this blue. Maybe the camera is just not picking it up as well.

I'll pull a shim and see where it settles. I agree it is deep.
I am color blind lol
You should just have to pull a shim from one side and transfer to the other.
I also think your backlash is a little high, unless you've taken care of that already?

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
I am color blind lol
You should just have to pull a shim from one side and transfer to the other.
I also think your backlash is a little high, unless you've taken care of that already?
I'll adjust the backlash once I remove a shim.

What do you mean take from one side and transfer to the other? There is only one shim stack.

641 - 659 of 659 Posts