Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
581 - 600 of 612 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Finally decided to cut out the connector for my fan. It will randomly stop working..which is bad for cooling haha. I think what was happening is the connector was getting hot, and the connector was pulling apart because the plastic was getting soft.
That's no bueno. Hot from under hood temps right? Looks like heavy gauge wire so wasnt like things were melting due to current draw.

Its so weird not having something to work on every night.
Thought you had a backhoe to rebuild 😁

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
Its 10 gauge wire so yeah its just the connector making crappy connection. Should be solid and good to go now....easy fix!

I am working on that rite now. Been cleaning it up. Attacked the wiring today.......what a cluster F!

Installed a fuse block and made a switch panel
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Grille Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
Checking under the hood and found my PSC vent thingy looking a little odd.... Searching it seems you cannot buy any parts for it. I posted on FB and it seems multiple people have had issues with this and ended up throwing it away and just running a line from the cap to vent. Love buying crap that lasts7 months.

Going to go back to running a line like it was before. I'll make it long enough so it hopefully does not spill out off camber.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle tire

·
Registered
869 Posts
Checking under the hood and found my PSC vent thingy looking a little odd.... Searching it seems you cannot buy any parts for it. I posted on FB and it seems multiple people have had issues with this and ended up throwing it away and just running a line from the cap to vent. Love buying crap that lasts7 months.

Going to go back to running a line like it was before. I'll make it long enough so it hopefully does not spill out off camber.

View attachment 282423
Should look into irate4x4 in the gen4x4 section on the venting. There's a good thread explaining how to run the vents so you don't lose fluid off camber and during a roll over.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #587 ·
I'll have to look it up. Thanks !

Bought the fancy magnetic mic holder that whiterhino showed off. magnet is super strong! Don't get your pecker caught in there. Also found my old amplified CB speaker and wired it back up and hooked into the radio. Mounted it between the seats so hopefully I can actually hear it, opposed to it being on the dash with the non amplified speaker.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive design Machine

Headed back down to Windrock Sept. 29 - Oct 2. Gonna do a good once over and ensure everything is tight. Still need to finish grinding some of the rear driveshaft yoke so it does not bind on full droop. I also need to address the front shaft and install a new splined end.

I'd love to put paneling on the roof (at least just above the heads). I have a lot of 14 gauge steel sheets so I might use that. Would love aluminum but can't afford that rite now. Plan to weld tabs with rivnuts and 1/4" bolts. Easy on/off.

Driving is SOOO much better now after adjusting the toe. Still pulls slightly right, but maybe thats just from the hydro ram...don't really expect it to track straight.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
Think I found the reason it pulled...got progressively worse to where it was like steering on ice going down the road. The heim joint bolt from the ram was not super tight and caused some play. Set the toe at 1/8" with my fancy aluminum guids.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

The zip ties on the upper arm holding the hydraulic lines/axle vent/brake lines look hideous. Drew up a mount and 3d printed. Have 2 more printing as I type this.

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wheel Wood

Tire Automotive tire Tread Hood Bumper

Hand Crankset Automotive tire Tire Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Rim Tire

Very strong and can get the hose clamp really tight....nothing moves! Will see if they last. I used PETG so its pretty strong stuff.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
Clamps are done and installed.

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper

Looks like the flop at windrock put a dent in the rear cage.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

Made a new front shaft. Needed to be a bit longer as well. The main reason for making a new one is the splines were very sloppy. Now I have a front spare and a rear spare.... expensive mistake on my part.

Gas Auto part Machine Cylinder Engineering

Decided to give the passenger a phone holder lol.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive exterior

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #595 ·
wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Windrock for the 3rd time was a bust.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Had a vibration and figured it was the truck as it has a slight shimmy from wearing tires and needing an alignment. Nope, bad tire. Traveling down 75 near Lexington, KY I see tire shreads in my pass. side mirror. Pulled off and saw the tire skinned itself. Head 5 miles to the next exit and put the spare on. Of course it was around 6 or 7 so no tire place was open to pick up another tire for a spare. Hit a few TSC on the way but no one had the size I needed in stock.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Get in and set up camp at Coal Creek Campground Campground in Tennessee - Coal Creek Campground ကြည့်ရှုရန် လော့ဂ်အင်ဝင်ပါ သို့မဟုတ် အကောင့်ဖွင့်ပါ

Place is new and really nice and located rite off 75 with plenty of stores around. Head 5 miles and you are on the trails. Owner is super friendly. Use to race and rock crawl competitively so has a lot of knowledge and knows the area well. If you need a place, look this place up. He will even help you when you break........

Not even 5 mins on the dirt road trail... turn left onto the main trail... POP! BANG! Sounded like a detroit locker unloading...but MUCH louder. Thought it was odd but kept going. Then I hear weird mechanical noises. I thought possibly it was the driveshaft and u joints I just built....go a bit further and I can feel the driver rear not under power. I let the two guys with me go infront of me and I turn back to head back to camp.

Get out to the main road and the rear is locked up. Start to pull the rear drive shaft thinking something in the pinion is messed up as that is where the noise is coming from. Then I remember its a FF axle so just pull the shaft and see if thats what broke. Well it did.
Asphalt Road surface Gas Circle Bedrock

Flip it over and bolt it back on as a cover. Still won't move. So maybe the locker/pinon got messed up with the shock loading. Try and pull the pass. side axle but do not have a big enough ratchet. Could only get 4 of the 8 bolts loose.

Some local pulls up and asks if I need any help. So I hop in with him and his 3 little dogs and he takes me back to the campground while my brother stayed with the jeep. Cool guy who use to to be a miner there for 25 years.

I get in the truck and head back with the trailer to scoop the jeep up and head back to camp.

Got the bolts off with the impact and pulled the shaft, all looked good. Still could not spin the pinion by hand and it had zero play.

Pull the broke side off and look inside the tube. There was a big chunk of shaft wedged between the shaft and tubing causing it to lock up. Sweet! Just needs a shaft possibly and I can keep going. Proceed to try and get the shaft out.... finally called it and just drove home as there was no way that was coming out with what I had with me.

1,018 miles in less than 48 hours. Nice time. Going to break the axle down and inspect the r&p and locker to see if there is any damage. Then do a rebuild on it.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
Was this the side that was slightly bent on our previous trip? Or the other side?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Was this side. I plan to pull the cover and inspect the gears tonight. It will get a rebuild with new bearings regardless....but not having to buy gears would be nice. I also need to inspect the Detroit. Not sure if it would be worth to install a spool. An advantage would be the ability to knock the shaft out from the other side.

I also need to pull the hub and see if the spindle is cracked...and put new bearings in as well. Again, full rebuild over winter.

581 - 600 of 612 Posts