Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
401 - 420 of 430 Posts

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,772 Posts
Looks good. By doing two short ones you have more adjustment options also.. I have been wanting to add some under car lighting also, works good for night obstacles as well as checking things out on the rig at night...

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
That was my thoughts. Will see how it comes out. Worst case I hate them or they do not work well and I throw them on the tractor or trailer. I do plan on some lights on the corners to help find obstacles at night.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Got the lights from amazon today and made some quick mounts: Used a 2 piece split collar for 1-3/4 shaft and welded a 3/4 flat bar with a 3/8" hole for the bolt. Fits perfect and allows me to remove the lights or angle them down/up with ease. I can also pivot the light left/right easily by loosening the 3/8 nut with a wrench.

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Dropped on.... lol. Should be able to take a beating.....
Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory

Figured I'd throw in a 10 micron fuel filter in place of the 40 micron filter. Decided to buy some nice AN wrenches as well.

Hand Tool Wood Gas Musical instrument accessory

Bumper Gas Suspension Engineering Auto part

3D printed a cover for the one smaller hole on the windshield. Currently printing the larger cover as I type this.
Hood Automotive lighting Cabinetry Grille Netbook

Bought some 2" x 1/4" wall DOM tubing yesterday so I can finally build the bump stop spacers this weekend.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Print finished in the middle of the night. Now to paint them.

Hood Netbook Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,772 Posts
Great mods.

Unrelated question. Have you been a programmer for a long time? I really want to someday get into 3d printing and learn to use the software needed to do it. What is advised for a beginner. I have programmed lots of cnc grinders and machining centers, but I have always done it by hand or hired out the programming.

Thanks for your time.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
Great mods.

Unrelated question. Have you been a programmer for a long time? I really want to someday get into 3d printing and learn to use the software needed to do it. What is advised for a beginner. I have programmed lots of cnc grinders and machining centers, but I have always done it by hand or hired out the programming.

Thanks for your time.
Thank you! Its been sitting in my other room for a while and figured it was time to dust it off and use it.

I went to school long ago for CAD using Catia and SolidWorks. I forgot a lot as I don't normally do 3D renders these days...mostly 2D for the CNC plasma cutter. I can eventually figure out what I am trying to do, or youtube refreshes my memory and I pick it up quick.

I use Cura for the 3d printer. Its free. I have a Ender 5 printer....if I did it again I'd probably just go for the Ender 5 Plus as it comes with auto Z calibration. I had to add it and flash the firmware....which you have to use an arduino...and its complicated lol.

If you can draw what you want...you just save it as a mesh and import it to Cura and it slices it and does all of the G code for you. You can preview it before you print as well. There are a TON of settings and it took me forever to have it print this well.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Worked on the front bump stops yesterday. Took them from 4" stroke to rite around 2". Bought 2" x .25 wall DOM tubing, chopped close to size on the cold saw, and spun on the lath to bore out the inside to slip over the 1-5/8 shaft. Also turned it to size and trued up the ends to be flat.

Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Household hardware

Automotive tire Cameras & optics Cylinder Engineering Gas

Used shock King oil... I think this is 5wt. I took out what I believe to be 7w. It was red and smelled like ATF. Buuuuut this was on hand and can't see it making much of a different?
Liquid Drinkware Solution Fluid Water

So when I filled the bump, I could not get it to compress all the way due to the oil volume. Adding the 2" long spacer obviously took up a lot of rom. Did some searching (no one talks about this stuff by the way) and every youtube video I found of people shortening a bump just would dump the oil they pulled out back in. Well I took out 220cc of fluid and it would not allow the bump to fully cycle. I even found the spec in Kings catalog:

Font Gas Number Screenshot Parallel

Posted on FB and someone said just to find the volume the spacer displaced and subtract that from the oil. I did and got 37.5ml. 220 - 37.5 = 182.5 cc

Now the bump can fully cycle without any issues.

2" vs 4"
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Metalworking Machine tool Gas Engineering

I'll call that a win. TIP: Cover the entire bump with ANTI-SEIZE so you can get them in/out easily :) Just need to charge them up to 200 psi to start, and the front will be done.

Now for the back.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Also done. List is getting short on things to do!!!!
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Wiring the mini light bars is next on the list. I hate wiring.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,772 Posts
Bump stop updates looking good.

Thank you! Its been sitting in my other room for a while and figured it was time to dust it off and use it.

I went to school long ago for CAD using Catia and SolidWorks. I forgot a lot as I don't normally do 3D renders these days...mostly 2D for the CNC plasma cutter. I can eventually figure out what I am trying to do, or youtube refreshes my memory and I pick it up quick.

I use Cura for the 3d printer. Its free. I have a Ender 5 printer....if I did it again I'd probably just go for the Ender 5 Plus as it comes with auto Z calibration. I had to add it and flash the firmware....which you have to use an arduino...and its complicated lol.

If you can draw what you want...you just save it as a mesh and import it to Cura and it slices it and does all of the G code for you. You can preview it before you print as well. There are a TON of settings and it took me forever to have it print this well.
Thanks for your response appreciate it. Is there a free/inexpensive software you would use for machine programming also?

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
Bump stop updates looking good.

Thanks for your response appreciate it. Is there a free/inexpensive software you would use for machine programming also?
Thanks and no problem.

You can get fusion360 for free. Cura is also free Ultimaker Cura: Powerful, easy-to-use 3D printing software

I would not go 200psi in the bumps.

Shock tuner had us start at 50psi and would monitor if we bottomed on hard hits and raise pressure a little from there.
I just filled them there as I can always let pressure out with ease. Never easy to add pressure lol. However, I try and take the nitrogen tank with me everytime just in case. Seems like a lot of people setting to around 50-100 psi.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
Drew and cut up a MOLLE panel for the doors.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

Ran the wire for the upfront light pods. Went to turn them on and realized the VOSWITCH panel is dead. I knew it was not the wiring as I could hook the other panel in and it would work fine. I emailed the company at 7:53 last night, they responded at 8pm with a new panel is on its way.

Ran some of the wires in loom and of course I wanted to re route some wires and now I need to extend them a bit. So I'll be cutting and splicing those today.

Ordered more Nilight pod lights so I can mount one at each corner of the jeep for rock lights.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Ran the wire for the upfront light pods. Went to turn them on and realized the VOSWITCH panel is dead. I knew it was not the wiring as I could hook the other panel in and it would work fine. I emailed the company at 7:53 last night, they responded at 8pm with a new panel is on its way.
Good to know there's some customer service behind them. I havent had any issues with mine so far but my buggy hasnt left the garage yet :ROFLMAO:

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Yeah I was shocked how quick and painless it was. Hopefully the new panel works and stays working. At least with electronics, if its gonna fail its going to fail fairly quick.

Did some night time seeing work last night. Have a few trips planned for windrock and know we will be doing some night time wheeling. Used cheap Nilight brand pods. Was $30 for 4 on amazon. They are spot/flood. Seem like they should work decently enough. The back will be more tricky. If anything, I'll use these facing backwards for backup lights and to light up behind me.

Tire Wheel Hood Car Automotive tire

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Gas Trunk Motor vehicle

Front two forward lights and fender lights on:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
739 Posts
I wouldn't knock the funnels... you know how many times I've run around my shop looking for a funnel??? He knows right where there are almost 200... no searching around for him!

401 - 420 of 430 Posts