Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
361 - 380 of 391 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
Updates so far include just getting things painted such as the dash, rear inner wheel wells, roll cage and bottom side of the frame.

I wired up a pressure sensor to monitor transmission line pressure utilizing a spare analog input on the computer. Its displayed on the dash as a gauge and I can data log it. No more mechanical gauge and trying to read it as I drive lol. Should allow me to easily tune the line pressure.

Still need to build the skids..... just been putting it off because I hate welding underneath overhead.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Updates so far include just getting things painted such as the dash, rear inner wheel wells, roll cage and bottom side of the frame.

I wired up a pressure sensor to monitor transmission line pressure utilizing a spare analog input on the computer. Its displayed on the dash as a gauge and I can data log it. No more mechanical gauge and trying to read it as I drive lol. Should allow me to easily tune the line pressure.

Still need to build the skids..... just been putting it off because I hate welding underneath overhead.
What's your plan for skids?

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,750 Posts
I think I'm around 2 or so at the moment. Still need to finish the rollcage and bottom of the chassis. I like to apply it THICCCCCC.
Would definitely like to see pictures of how well your paint turns out brushing it on. Also, does it seem to hold up as good as sprayed on? What do you use for brushes? Would be so much easier for me than spraying if it works well.

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for sharing....

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Would definitely like to see pictures of how well your paint turns out brushing it on. Also, does it seem to hold up as good as sprayed on? What do you use for brushes? Would be so much easier for me than spraying if it works well.

I'm in the same boat and really curious as well.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Flip it over!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
LOL! I'll just run the winch line over a tree branch and lift it up lol.

.035” wire 18/180 for welder settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The miller 211 autoset is pretty damn good. I honestly never manually input my settings. I can do it, just it isn't fun. And the damn creeper I have likes to grab your shirt with its wheels and you have to tear it away to get free lol.

What's your plan for skids?
I picked up 3/16 AR400 plate last month. It will be two parts. 1 for underbelly to protect trans/tcase. Then I will have one to protect the engine oil pan.

For brushes I just use cheap "CHIP BURSHES" can be bought anywhere for $1. Just pull on the bristles before painting as there are ALWAYS loose ones.You can see some of them in random painted spots...but I don't really care. I can't see spending money on a nice brush and having to clean it.....but if you want a really nice look, would be worth it.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper

Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

I'm in the same boat and really curious as well.
See ^^^^^^

It will fade a bit and turn more gray after some life in the sun....but its very durable. My floor use to get painted once a season with regular black rustoleum. I switched to this hammered years ago and it would last years without wearing.

Took the jeep for a quick 41* rip today to test the trans line pressure sensor. Was able to data log so its working! Seems max line pressure is on point what they spec....max 180psi at 100% tps.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Light Gauge Mode of transport

Rectangle Font Slope Midnight Grass

Some of the painted bits update.

Vehicle Cockpit Steering part Steering wheel Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
I've never heard of anyone monitoring trans line pressure. Purpose?
I control everything from the computer. Want to ensure line pressure is where it needs to be as I set shift points and pressures for tps and load charts. Just making sure I don’t smoke clutches for not having enough pressure.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
While my dad was over figured we would try and get the top on and see what all had to be modified to get it to fit.

It went pretty well! Had to trim the rails as the B pillar was hitting and had to take off the tension rods as they were hitting the cage. Ended up drilling the rivet that holes the rubber front plug thing and was able to slide the B pillar door surround in from the front. The window holes it tight against the cage and it does not move. If you have a YJ top, you might understand what I am talking about lol.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Leg Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Where the rubber plug stopper would be. I now slide it in from the front.
Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Hood Rim

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Ready for winter wheeling!

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
Got the first skid cut and half mounted. 4 bolts hold it to the cross member. There will another 8....4 on each side of the chassis. Of course after welding the 2 tubes to connect the crossmember...its a pain to bolt up in place. Ended up using my hand plasma to cut the plate as it was not flat and my torch height control on the CNC plasma was acting up and would not work. I also used it to cut the bolt holes instead of trying to punish myself and drill them out. Overall I'm happy and its one step closer to being done and wheeling ready.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive design Road surface

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
spent Sat/Sun getting the engine skid built. I was originally going to bend the tubing into a U....but I decided to just cut and weld it to be quicker and easier. Measures 31" long so it covers just up till the crank pulley. The oil filter sticks out slightly but doubt it will ever be an issue??? Could always make a side shield I guess.

Just need to finish welding the tabs and then weld some tabs on the chassis for the belly skid and add paint to be done!

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Muffler Rim

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exhaust

Bumper Wood Asphalt Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wheel

·
Taco driving jeep wheeler
1991 XJ
121 Posts
Nice work on that engine and belly skid! Looks like it’s going to tie in awesome with the rest of your build. Your jeep looks like a freaking beast, can’t wait to see it all come together.

361 - 380 of 391 Posts