Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
321 - 340 of 346 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
lol. Just weld it back together and start over ha ha.

What I am trying to say is, yea it is short and may be stiff.....but I feel that if the guys over at wide open design are building their buggies/jeeps this exact same way, that it must not be as big of an issue as one might think? Once I finish it I guess i'll find out how it performs.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,582 Posts
Hard to tell what the actual length of the arm is vs the length and diameter of the torsion bar. You may be happy with it or it may be too stiff. Gotta drive it to find out.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
Sway bar links are mounted.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread

Pretty simple install. Cut 1/4" tabs for the axle end.
White Automotive tire Light Product Motor vehicle

Need to wait till its nice out and take it for a test drive to see how it does.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Made windshield hold down brackets.....so you know...the glass won't crack again.

Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Drove it to town to get pizza. WOW! Sway bar is working great. Instead of taking corners at 10mph and feeling like I'm going to roll, I can go 45+ and its solid.

Added spacers to the belt tensioner pulley to align everything so the belt stays put. It would normally come off a rib or two at the front. Now it comes off the back a rib or two. Guess I'll take the spacer thickness and divide it in half and I should be good.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Got around to addressing the leaking transmission pan. It would leave a good size spot while sitting and get all underneath the jeep.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Hood

Well I found the issue....the pan flange is all rusty and pitted nasty. Also the gasket looked well used. Looked up a Dorman pan online and saw that AutoZone in Livonia had one at their main warehouse hub stores. Had my dad grab it this morning and bring it to me.

Hood Automotive design Gas Plumbing fixture Composite material

The fluid looked good still, so that's a plus. No chunks or slivers just a fine powder from break in.

Automotive lighting Fluid Amber Gas Food

Used the gasket from the trans that I built originally as it was brand new. Topped the trans off with some TSC hydraulic fluid and so far no leaks. It also has a much much much better shift engagement and should run cooler (per what people state online).

My wideband likes to swing and not stay steady. Thinking it might be the sensor going out or the fact the plug from the O2 to the harness got melted from the exhaust manifold.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
No leaks after sitting!

Always thought my MAP readings were weird. Decided to use a vacuum pump and test it. Sure enough it was faulty. I noticed it had oil on it so I cleaned it and it works as it should. Might explain my crazy wideband o2 readings. I'll install my old oil separator to catch any oil that makes it way to the intake to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

·
Yooper In Training
7,369 Posts
You'll be fine with the shorter arms. I had front and rear anti-rock style bars(Rock Equipment), both hard arms shortened to around 13" IIRC due to packaging limitations. It handled great and had zero issues using all 14" of travel throughout articulation. I eventually cracked one of the aluminum front arms around the spline clamp likely due to overtightening and just took it off entirely. I actually like the street handling better with only the rear bar so I haven't bothered to fix it.

Jeep looks great by the way!

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,715 Posts
^^^^^ And the front one I bought from you has worked great on mine..... lol

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
You'll be fine with the shorter arms. I had front and rear anti-rock style bars(Rock Equipment), both hard arms shortened to around 13" IIRC due to packaging limitations. It handled great and had zero issues using all 14" of travel throughout articulation. I eventually cracked one of the aluminum front arms around the spline clamp likely due to overtightening and just took it off entirely. I actually like the street handling better with only the rear bar so I haven't bothered to fix it.

Jeep looks great by the way!
awesome! And thank you. I'm really impressed with its street manners. I don't plan to ever add one to the front as I do not see a need. I'm sure once I get my steering aligned and tires aired up it will drive even better. I bought the steel as I figured they might have a better longevity? Though the bling factor would have been cool. Once I get some skid plates mounted I'll be able to take it out and test it on rocks and see how it flexes.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Mounted the oil catch can. I have an 05 (I think) engine so the PCV is fixed to the valve cover. Pre 04 I think..... they were removable. When I took the intake off there was a lot of oil on the intake runners. This will hopefully keep it clean.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Gas Automotive fuel system

Finally received my remote reservoir mounts and installed one on the rear to see how it works. I think one clamp should do.

Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire

Playing back a datalog and happy to see my knock sensors are working.

Rectangle Slope Font Technology Parallel

Still need to iron out some transmission shifting issues. Going from 2nd to 3rd it will flare. I suspect its because I have the converter lock in 2nd....it than unlocks, shifts to 3rd and locks back up. I'm going to just enable lock up in 3rd and 4th and see if it goes away. Or I can command it to stay locked up during shifts. Line pressure seems good with nice firm shifts. Overdrive is useless for now due to my tires/gearing/engine power.

Need to make some skid plates. What is everyone running for thickness and material? I'm not wanting to buy 3/8" aluminum as that would be very expensive.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,582 Posts
I'm sure the streetability is awesome. Maybe the short arms will be OK offroad - maybe not. You really won't know till you start wheeling it hard. If you are too limited, things can bend or you will see that you really don't flex as much as you had hoped. Hanging a one ton axle and big tire in the air from a sway bar will quickly deform the splines. (ask me how I know) There is a reason people use sway bar disconnects.....................................

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
I'm sure the streetability is awesome. Maybe the short arms will be OK offroad - maybe not. You really won't know till you start wheeling it hard. If you are too limited, things can bend or you will see that you really don't flex as much as you had hoped. Hanging a one ton axle and big tire in the air from a sway bar will quickly deform the splines. (ask me how I know) There is a reason people use sway bar disconnects.....................................
I plan to replace the dinky 1/2 threaded rod with DOM tubing to hopefully help keep things together. I could see how the splines would deform...that's why I went with steel. Like you said, time will tell. I do know I need a sway bar as its scary without it off-road. Great feedback though! I now you have been and done a lot so you defiantly have great knowledge.

Went to town Friday to fill the jeep and gas can up to mow the lawn. Older guy came out and started asking me about the jeep. I got distracted and managed to leave my wallet on the rear fender....yeah.... I drove off. I didn't realize I lost it till 5 hours after. Drove around to try and find it..no luck. So now I'm getting all my stuff replaced. Thankfully SOS online is helpful and I can order a new drivers license and print off registrations.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,715 Posts
^^^^^ That sucks about your wallet. I worry about doing shit like that all the time...

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 · (Edited)
^^^^^ That sucks about your wallet. I worry about doing shit like that all the time...
and I looked at it telling myself I better grab it before i leave it there.... DOH!

Picked up a 51 x 40 sheet of AR400 plate to build skid plates.
Plant Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

321 - 340 of 346 Posts