Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
301 - 320 of 391 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
That sucks. Hopefully you can sort out the noise.
Got the bolt out and fastened the plate back up. Pulled the front output cover to install the plug they didn't install at the factory....annnnnd its the wrong size. Shot some RTV in there and put it back together. Torqued the front yoke nut to 150 ft/lb per their instructions. Decided to check the rear and it wasn't torqued to spec. Maybe buying during covid was a horrible idea.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
It’s the case. Sent video to AA and they said that’s a lot of gear lash and the synchro is not supposed to move.

They want me to send it back. Said I have a trip on the 9th. Said call them after the trip. So they are being a stand up company for sure.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Thrashed on the Jeep till 2am Friday so we could leave to silver lake.

weird having en engine that makes less power 😂 but it’s like a goat. You don’t think you’ll make it because the rpm is low…but it just keeps crawling in 4 high and you make it.

Bumps are to long. Need to shorten them. I have 50 psi in them and it helps a lot.

Engine runs up to 220 and comes rite down. Not sure if I have air in the System or that’s where it likes to run? Or maybe I need to spin it faster?

trans was getting hot. Got back to camp and noticed the cooler was not coming on. The computer was looking at the wrong trigger. Fixed and now the trans stays rite around 200* where I have the fan set. That is in 4 high as well.

very happy with how it’s been performing for its first shake down.

Hood Dog Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Water Dusk

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Managed to break the windshield Doh!

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,753 Posts
Looks awesome!! Curious how your suspension pans out as you go.

200 seems kinda high for tranny normal temps? I would be shooting for more like 175, but I am not a pro by any means.....

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Nice old Wag.

Glad you made it to SLSD.
i love the old wag! Does really well out there as well. Thanks! I’m glad to have had the chance to make it for a shake down run.

Getting there.
How did you break the windshield.
wellllllllll I never made a fixed mount to hold the windshield up. Used bungee cords to keep it held up rite. Got into some nasty whoops going fast and the rear view mirror hit the cage and cracked.

come to find out… I had zero nitrogen pressure in the front coilovers. I must of forgotten to refill them after swapping the grade 5 boots for grade 8. After I filled them, no more crazy issues in the whoops.
Bump stops to long? Riding on them to much?
With full fuel and someone in the back it causes the ride height to really change. May need to put more preload on the coils to lift the rear. I also might have to internally limit the bumps from 4” to 2-3”. The axle was rotate down so the bump pads were not as low as I originally built them to be. So I think it’s just a combination of things.
With my brother in the back, they were probably 1/2” from touching. I need to keep a log book on what settings the Jeep needs per the type of wheeling I do.
Nice!!!

How did you break the windshield?
see the first reply above :)
Looks awesome!! Curious how your suspension pans out as you go.

200 seems kinda high for tranny normal temps? I would be shooting for more like 175, but I am not a pro by any means.....
The suspension really works well and soaks up the whoops. You can feel the tires follow the terrain now. My back also does not hurt from riding out there.

I could see 175 on the street. But 4 high and 42s I would think 200 is normal? I know my truck going down the road sits at around 200 with or without a trailer hooked. I guess it would not hurt to kick the fan on sooner though.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,570 Posts
i love the old wag! Does really well out there as well.
What year? Does it still have AMC V8/TH400/Quadratrac? I really need to put my 75 Wag back together.

wellllllllll I never made a fixed mount to hold the windshield up. Used bungee cords to keep it held up rite. Got into some nasty whoops going fast and the rear view mirror hit the cage and cracked.
doh!

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
What year? Does it still have AMC V8/TH400/Quadratrac? I really need to put my 75 Wag back together.

doh!
not sure the year. It should have the 401 but the distributor gear got all mangled. So he took an AMC 360 out of his CJ and has been running it like that for the past 8 or so years. It has a dana 20 behind it. I love the Wags but you can't touch them these days for something that is nice.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Anyone have any experience with a frameless top? Not sure I can get the normal top to work with hose close the "B" pillar is to the tub. Does not seem like I'll have enough room to slide the door surround past it.

Have safelite coming out tomorrow to replace the windshield.

Plan to take some DOM and turn it down on the lathe to limit the bumps to 2" instead of 4". Going to start painting the bare steel and possibly look for a hood.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Well well well....Safelite came by Friday and slapped on some new glass. Cost me around $230 with tax and the fee to have them come to you. Now to make a mount to secure it against the roll cage so this does not happen again.. lol.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

I ordered a Currie Antirock sway bar and it should have been delivered Friday. Thanks FedEx. I called Wide Open Design and they said the chassis is made to use the 45" bar. I will have to cut the actual arms down and possibly drill my own hole(s).

Communication with Ballistic Fabrication sucks...... Ordered a set of clamps for the remote reservoirs on Aug. 29. No updates. I contacted them Tuesday and they said they will contact the manufacture? (I thought they made them....) and they should go out Today. Again, no email with tracking or a phone call.

It appears a frameless top will not work as they need that same channel for the door surround. Crap!

Attachments

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
Finally received my sway bar. Had to cut it down to fit and drill a new 1/2 hole.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Blue Road surface Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt

need to weld the bracket to the axle next and it’ll be done.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
That’s how wide open design builds them. The tube for the sway bar is built into the chassis. Their jeeps seem to have zero issues with flex? That orange JL gets rowdy without issues.

301 - 320 of 391 Posts