181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
If it clears it clears

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
LOL. Exactly! I learned that while at WMU for aviation maintenance.... HAHA JK.

I have a harness I rob connectors off from time to time. If you need that connector I could remove it
After you said that I relized I had my brothers old harness in the garage in a box. It sadly has the same connector that I have (no 90*). Does yours have that??

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Last night I started putting together the front drive shaft.

Clears the upper 4 link mounts.

At ride height. I also noticed I did not drive the pinion seal on all the way, so I'll have to fix that. The angle seems off to me, but I'm use to running a CV style shaft. At full droop I have ZERO bind, so it shoud be ok?? 1410 ujoints.

We heard you liked driveshafts. So we put driveshafts on your driveshaft.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Just have to say this tool is amazing! Wish I had bought it a long time ago. Works very well on 1/2 HP grinder.

Tack welded the front bumps on and got them all lined up.

With the grill mounted. Nicely tucked away.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Received the new clamshells for the trans harness. They offered two versions. Apparently its just the ID that wraps around the wire end. I bought two of each as they were $1.50...never know if you'll break on install.

Will provide a lot more clearance. Not sure if the wires will better to shoot forward or towards the rear. Once I get the drive shaft back on I'll see for sure.

Welded up the driver bump can mount.... I knew before starting that I should turn down a chunk of aluminum and shove in there and weld. The lathe needs to be re-wired as it shot sparks last time I turned it on so I decided to risk it. Of course the bump hardly fits inside the can. Have to really force it. Have new cans for the front on order so I can re-do them.

Tried a hole saw to clean the inside up, but it did not work :(

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,080 Posts
I like the cylinder hone idea. Assuming they're out of round now I would imagine that if you can get it in there that it'd loosen up over time.

Last resort could be to cut a slit up the outside and add a way to pinch it back together once you get the can in there.... Or cut off and redo...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
If you ended up welding new cans in avoid making your mounts hit at least the first inch on both top and bottom of the can. The inside of the cans I used are tapered in the middle to allow for weld expansion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Took advice from above and ordered a cylinder hone and 3" flap wheel from amazon. Had it delivered Saturday.

The hone did not wore. Was just way to slow and the stones would not last. The flap wheel did the trick. As for not welding at the top 1".... not possible with how these mount. The bottom is not welded though. These cans are KING brand and have been machined. I assume for weld expansion?

I got the lathe all wired up. Even has more power now! go figure... haha.

For those that do wire connections, this is the PROPER way to make a splice. Even learned it in my aviation classes...so you know its legit.

Push the two wires together, end to end. Then wrap them together tightly with a strand of wire.

Add solder.

Shrink tube it with the sealed stuff that has glue.

This little guy is MONEY! I run it off my Dewalt 20v battery with a 3d printed aux power thingy.

Mounted my headlights. These are super thing. Will probably mod them a bit so I can put the stock trim rings on. For now they are good to go. I'm sure I will blind a lot of people but I don't plan to drive this at night much.

Used Hi/Low amber 3/4 LEDs for the park/turns. Wish I could of made them more centered, but the bump can mounts on the back get in the way.

Machined an aluminum slug to install into the bump cans so when I weld them it hopefully helps retain the shape. Lots of chatter on the end, but should not matter for this.

Welded up.

Had to re mount the pillow block. The way I had welded it up made it impossible to remove the shaft as there is no slip yoke to make it shorter. The bracket was between the fixed end and tcase. So I made it so the bracket is infront of the welded mount so you can simply just pull it out.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 · (Edited)
Received my switch pods today. I was originally going to order switch pros, but was not happy with spending over $1k for it. After some searching I found these 8 gang switch panels from VoSwitch UV100 Universal 8 Gang Programmable Switch Panel for Truck / UTV / Side by Side / Boat

So I ordered two of them. Since you can have the switch flash, it will be used for my turn signals. Super nice quality stuff straight from China. Only took a week to get as well which surprised me. The enclosure is fully sealed with an o-ring in the lid. The switch panel itself is made from all aluminum and states that it is sealed.

Video:

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Cool little switch panel. I'm looking forward to wiring, maybe because it means I'm near completion on the project when wiring starts.
I actually am as well. Getting all my electrical things figured out. Been making a list of all the things I need to power.
Sweet build, you do great work!
thanks! Trying to take my time and not rush things.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Got the front bump cans welded up. Was able to save the other one. I just decided to cut a long slit into the side. I'll use two pinch bolts to close the seam up.

181 - 200 of 201 Posts