Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Northwest Ohio Crawlers
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

im looking for some answers about a YJ tub modification. I have a '86 CJ-7 that im looking for a replacement tub for. I have seen and heard of YJ tubs fitting onto CJ frames. I found a YJ tub in great condition for $1000 bucks.....but the problem is that it is right hand drive.
So my questions are....
1) what is involved to make a YJ tun fit a CJ frame in the first place
2) what is involved to modify the right hand drive to make it left hand
3) how much fabrication skill and weld ing would be involved and so forth
4) what would you guys do in this situation

thanks for any help that you guys can give me here.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
$1000.00 seems pretty high if are going to do all the work to convert it. if you needed a right hand drive I would think its pretty cheap as they are probably few and far between.
Do a search on the internet this topic has been covered with many good write ups!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've done it but it isn't as easy as everybody says. It is a pretty easy swap, but right hand drive forget it, don't even bother, especially for $1,000! When you find an American YJ tub will have to fabricate 4 new body mounts, cut out new holes for the pedals, switch the fuel fill to the passenger side and deal with countless little bs problems. The heater won't bolt up, neither will the defroster, and the transmission tunnel will probably need to be modified unless you put a body lift on.

·
Northwest Ohio Crawlers
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Dana60CJ, I appreciate the information. Are the 4 Wheel Drive Hardware glass tubs pretty good??? Are the as strong or as well built as the Kentrol tubs. I dont have any idea what one is a good buy. I mean the 4wd hardware tubs hits with hood and fenders for $2300 vs Kentrol tub only for $3400+.

My dad seems to think im better off with a glass tub rather that steel. But this is my first go around with a Jeep rebuild.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
If its going to be daily driven I would personally go with a steel tub. Body mount holes will eventually round out due to vibrations. Plus they generally dont have a cut out for a tailgate which just looks bad imo. I would personally find a clean lhd yj tub.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Buy a steel YJ tub. They were treated, where CJ tubs weren't. I wouldn't bother with a glass tub - they have fitment issues. Bbesides, what you are looking for is very common.

I agree on not bothering with that RHD tub. It may be worth $1k to someone with a RHD vehicle, but its more trouble than it is worth for you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't waste your hard earned money! Trust us, go with steel! Fiberglass is really weak and a pain in the ass to patch. Aluminum is nice but it corrodes just like steel does after a while. Here's how I painted my tub. Ground down to bare metal. Self Etch primed it, painted with SEM Rust Shield, then painted over that with SEM rubberized undercoating. I did the whole body like that. Although the top side I added Herculiner on top of all that. 2 years rust free.

There is a guy on this forum who goes by 007bond, he hooked me up with a tub. Try him.

·
Northwest Ohio Crawlers
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys for the advice on this one. I'd much rather do this the right way. I will give 007bond a try about a tub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts