Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I'm looking for a fabricator/welder around the Flint area that can repair the typical rust areas on the rear frame of an 88 YJ. It's rusted through on both sides of the frame and quite a large hole on the bottom strap on each side. If anyone knows of someone who'd like the project and charges a reasonable rate, let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

·
tooweel or not tooweel
466 Posts
me and my dad do welding and fabricating on the side. i actually just did the same kind of repairs on a cj 2weeks ago. could you trailer it to westland where im at or would you need it to be done on site? also is the body still on the frame? if your interested pm me pics of all the areas that need repair and i could shoot you a rough estimate with out actually seeing it. thanks
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I've attached some pictures of the areas of concern. As you can see, the previous owners had some 3/16 plates welded along the side rails for the bumper mounts, but they stopped short of going all the way to the rear crossmember... probably because of the shackle location. The frame area around those plates seems pretty strong, so the areas needing the most attention is the 6-8" sections surrounding the shackle mounts and a bottom strap running up about 20". I can buy the 3/16 material and pre-cut to the shapes I need, but my welding skills are non-existent.

I don't have a means of trailering, so I would need to drive it to a location not far from my location.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I've attached some pictures of the areas of concern. As you can see, the previous owners had some 3/16 plates welded along the side rails for the bumper mounts, but they stopped short of going all the way to the rear crossmember... probably because of the shackle location. The frame area around those plates seems pretty strong, so the areas needing the most attention is the 6-8" sections surrounding the shackle mounts and a bottom strap running up about 20". I can buy the 3/16 material and pre-cut to the shapes I need, but my welding skills are non-existent.

I don't have a means of trailering, so I would need to drive it to a location not far from my location.

Thanks,

Brian
Can you please pm me your number. Ill forward the info on to a friend that may be able to take care of you. Hopefully you will be able to get it done this weekend

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have just finished same frame repairs on a 1987 YJ. Can take some pictures of finished project. Used 1/4 inch plate on sides and bottom of frame rail. Have truck and trailer to transport Jeep. Live in Belding Mi.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
YJ Frame Repair Now Needing A Complete Frame

Hello Everyone,

What once was a frame repair is now a complete frame swap, so I guess I'm looking for a YJ frame in decent shape. Wondering if anyone has one? Need one with 6 cyl mounts.

Rust damage was much more than originally thought..

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
545 Posts
ive got a really nice rust free frame and 89 yj tub body ill sell
Hello Everyone,

What once was a frame repair is now a complete frame swap, so I guess I'm looking for a YJ frame in decent shape. Wondering if anyone has one? Need one with 6 cyl mounts.

Rust damage was much more than originally thought..

Thanks,

Brian

:confused: :poke:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.