Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I find a piece of 2 inch angle works good. Clamp or gravity and use as a guide. Gets hot so keep a bucket of water handy (in the winter I just set it outside). White kids chalk also works.

I didn't even think to use chalk....

I was brainstorming on my lunch break and thought a BIG washer clamped in the proper place would make a great guide. Now i just need to learn to use a cutting torch in short order...

· Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What a night! Originally was supposed to have the night in the garage, the little lady shot that down for going out with friends. That didn't work out so I snuck out for a couple hours.

I should have just started a build thread. Can I get shuffled to the build section?

Attachments

· Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is what I always use:

http://www.markal.com/welding-markers/silver-streak-metal-marker-silver-/

Look for hole saws that are Tungsten Carbide. I cut out 6 holes in 3/8" and the saw still looks brand new. This was at 1-1/2 diameter as well. Just use A LOT of cutting oil.
I bought some at Menards yesterday, they make great marks! Ill test them with the torch tonight when I do those 2 rear body mounts. I spent and hour last night practicing with the torch and my cuts improved quite a bit.

The bumper and lowered section of the rear frame tails went together quick, working off of a level table is awesome.

· Covered in mud...
17,905 Posts
Hole saws really need slow speeds and cutting fluid. When you look up the feed rates, I Think I found that you want to be in the 80-100 rpm range for typical sizes like 1.75 or 2".

I found my cheap HF chop saw didn't cut super straight, but I find its because the handle isn't quite in line with the bushing, so the pressure of pushing down on the handle took it off straight line. I found using less pressure to push down, and I would push down on the blade guard, rather than the handle, and it kept it much straighter. Band saws work better though.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Hole saws really need slow speeds and cutting fluid. When you look up the feed rates, I Think I found that you want to be in the 80-100 rpm range for typical sizes like 1.75 or 2".

I found my cheap HF chop saw didn't cut super straight, but I find its because the handle isn't quite in line with the bushing, so the pressure of pushing down on the handle took it off straight line. I found using less pressure to push down, and I would push down on the blade guard, rather than the handle, and it kept it much straighter. Band saws work better though.

The first thing I did was remove the 3 rubber feet and add washers under then to make it sit flat, I then tacked in a couple braces on the bottom so the base wouldn't flex. I bought the thinnest blade I could, I have found that with cut off saws the thinner he blade is the less they wander.

Its pretty good for a $100 saw. Much better than marking and cutting with the angle grinder.

I was considering a Craigslist drill press to cut holes in body mounts. Its tiny but would get used a lot!

Id love a band saw, need a bigger garage first, the one car deal doesn't agree with a haul of metal working tools.

can i get this moved tothe build thread forum @mod

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.