Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning to run 33/34 inch tires on my tj. 4.0 W/ auto.

my question is will putting a super 35 kit from superior be worth it or will it still be a turd. i am not going any bigger and this will only be for trail rides and dunes, nothing hardcore.

thanx for your opinions

BIGBEN

·
Custom User Title
8,287 Posts
I think for the price of the Super Superior kit, you can buy an 8.8 with discs. And you can find one with 4.10s stock. There is one in the psrts for sale for $300 bucks.

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but by the time you add a locker (that i know of the 8.8 didn't come with one from the factory) and the axle brackets, are you still ahead of the game?

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
Run it, I still have the 35 in my TJ with 33's and beat on it and it is still ok, just get a spare set of shafts and always keep them with you.

·
Custom User Title
8,287 Posts
but by the time you add a locker (that i know of the 8.8 didn't come with one from the factory) and the axle brackets, are you still ahead of the game?
I know that a lot of the 8.8s came with a Limited Slip, which is better than open until you can afford a locker.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i just finished my 8.8 install in my jeep. you can add clutches into the carrier to make it grip better (grips fine w/out adding though, just tested it last night)
with new 4.88 gears, brakes, brackets (leaf spring), bearings.... i have around $500 into it; i'm sure you could find one w/ good used brakes though to save some dough

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't listen to them. The d35 is stronger than a d44.
i'm not as stupid as i look.:stan:

i know i can find a 8.8 reasonably cheap. and i am not looking to build it in stages. what i was wanting to know is if the 35 with the super 35 kit is up to the 33/34 inch tires i am planning.

thanx to BMFmike for the advice.:thumb:

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
i had a 35 in my old comanche with stock gears and 33s and i ran the piss outa it... jumped it numerous times and never once had a problem with it..

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
i'm not as stupid as i look.:stan:

i know i can find a 8.8 reasonably cheap. and i am not looking to build it in stages. what i was wanting to know is if the 35 with the super 35 kit is up to the 33/34 inch tires i am planning.

thanx to BMFmike for the advice.:thumb:
Yeah but it's polishing a turd. What are you going to do if you snap on of those 30 spline shafts? They are expensive to replace. Just do the 8.8 swap and be done with it. I got one off the forum with 4.10s, welded axle tubes, and 0 miles on it for $250

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
a souped up 35 is still a 35. spend the money on a real axle.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Yeah but it's polishing a turd. What are you going to do if you snap on of those 30 spline shafts? They are expensive to replace. Just do the 8.8 swap and be done with it. I got one off the forum with 4.10s, welded axle tubes, and 0 miles on it for $250
Then there is the locker cost, and the regearing the front cost, the mounts cost, the brackets cost, the possibility of a new driveshaft or at least the cost of the flange thingy. Oh, then the getting the brakes to work correctly cost.

There is more to it than just "bolting it in".

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
I know a few people running 35-37's on the super35 kit

·
I was born in the desert
1,719 Posts
i am planning to run 33/34 inch tires on my tj. 4.0 W/ auto.

my question is will putting a super 35 kit from superior be worth it or will it still be a turd. i am not going any bigger and this will only be for trail rides and dunes, nothing hardcore.

thanx for your opinions

BIGBEN
If its not broke then don't try fixing it. I ran 35's on mine until a bad pinion seal let some muck in and burned the pinion bearing up on the way home from Drummond. I still made it home though. The 35 went to the scraper and I got a 8.25. I would never sink over a grand into a 35.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
as far as the cost of mounting a new axel, what you need to do is cozy up to a welder that already owes you one for a seat you gave him a while back:poke:
it took me about 3 hours to swop a 9" under my tj by myself
with help it would take a little less time

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Run it stock 'till it breaks or swap in an 8.8 or D44.

Every S35 I personally know of (over 7 now) has died an untimely death. Every one of them blew up the locker (some were Detroits, but most were ARBs). There just isn't enough ring gear diameter to build any strength into the carrier.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Don't spend the money on the super 35 kit. Just get a set of spare shafts for cheap and carry them with you. I have a 35 in my TJ that I have run for 10 years. Every size tire from stock to 37's I have never broken an axle shaft. I have gone through carrier bearings, a r&p, and a lockright, but never a shaft. (I do have a spooled 9 inch waiting to go in it now)

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanx all for the help.

going to swap instead.

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
Smart choice on the swap vs. the super 35. As for money, my 8.8 swap cost $550 with no regear/locker since I could run the 4.10's and was broke....

Axle = .........................................$300.....Junkyard
Coil Buckets = ................................$44.....www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
Control Arm Mounts = ......................$60.....www.ruffstuffspecialites.com
Shock Mounts = ..............................$14.....www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
Flange = ........................................$37.....www.kore4x4customs.com
Misc. (Brake pads/lines, Fluid, etc.) = .$100.....Murray's, Napa, Autozone...
Locker (Aussie)= .............................$250....www.offroadlockers.com
TOTAL Estimation= ..........................$805 - And it's not a turd like the 35....

Isn't a super 35 kit over a grand????

1 - 20 of 27 Posts