Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice on the show today, that when they were winching the Toyota up a hill, they wrapped the cable (steel) around the tree trunk and hooked it back to itself? It was in a private park, but it is surprising that they would not set a better example. It even made it through editing and onto the final show. I was surprised.

·
Geocacher!!!!!!!!!!
2,730 Posts
yup, spotted that.
then thot did they really do that???:(

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
Did you also notice that some of the guys that were there were from peterson's? The 715 in the background running irocs was Pewe's if I'm not mistaken. I saw that he wrapped around a tree too, now I know where they got that shot for the magazine.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Peterson's sucks for safety. I posted this awhile ago but Peterson's sent me a Superlift video that was full of unsafe practices. Bunch of idiots are going to get some novice watcher killed.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
Peterson's sucks for safety. I posted this awhile ago but Peterson's sent me a Superlift video that was full of unsafe practices. Bunch of idiots are going to get some novice watcher killed.
I just find it funny that they just recently had a picture of that as a big no-no. I find it more ironic that it is the pot calling the kettle black though.

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
I noticed them do it.. Was kinda pissed. Some wheelers look up to this show and for them to be lazy like that is just rediculous.. I call lazy cause I know with the show's budget they can afford proper recovery gear

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Already being discussed on Pirate where Ian posts as well (in case you didn't see the Pirate4X4.com sticker in the rear window of the Pickup.)

They know it was the wrong way, but keep in mind, Ian doe not do the final editing. Yes it got missed and now they need to make up for it. I am sure they won't be making the same mistake again.

Word is, they are planning an episode in early 08 on trail recovery.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
final editing or not. the act its self should not have been committed. he was there and in the yota therefor its his fault.

my .02

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
final editing or not. the act its self should not have been committed. he was there and in the yota therefor its his fault.

my .02
Damn skippy.. Shouldnt have been there to edit out.. A tree Saver costs like 20 bux tops ! if you can afford a winch, you CAN afford that !

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts

my .02

Ian said not a single one of the vehicles out there had a tree saver strap that day... :( His recovery bag was forgotten and no one else had one.

Does suck even more that it got aired.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
unless no one had a tow strap that is stupid.

a tow strap can be used as a tree saver if need be.
Tow straps are fine, but recovery straps store a lot of energy. Some people don't know the difference. I would use a recovery strap as a VERY last effort. Well before wrapping my cable around a tree. Not only is that bad for the tree, it creates a stress point were the hook attaches to the cable. Working load of the cable is almost cut in half.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Ian said not a single one of the vehicles out there had a tree saver strap that day... :( His recovery bag was forgotten and no one else had one.

Does suck even more that it got aired.
Is Ian actually posting somewhere?

You can't tell me that EVERYONE forgot their tree saver, AND their straps. That is bullshit.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Is Ian actually posting somewhere?

You can't tell me that EVERYONE forgot their tree saver, AND their straps. That is bullshit.

From a NW forum

The ramjet needs no "hacking" into the stock harness to make it work. It needs 2 grounds, 12 volt hot and ign, and bang it runs.

I know, I know I should have used a tree strap.......but we didn't grab the gear bag on the way out of the shop, and honestly. We rarely ever need to winch when shooting a payoff.

True enough, in my own rig, I have the ussual trail junk, tools, parts, straps, and all that stuff that once you put it in you always have it.

On the "TV" trucks, that stuff ussually gets overlooked.

And with all those other rigs that were with you not one had a tree strap? :beer:
I know it sounds stoopid....but nope.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
I still think it's bullshit. I don't give a fuck what that hack says. All those vehicles and no one around.....anywhere.....had a saver, a strap? Bullshit.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I still think it's bullshit. I don't give a fuck what that hack says. All those vehicles and no one around.....anywhere.....had a saver, a strap? Bullshit.
If you didn't see the show, you would have seen that they are all hillbillies, in a private park. Hillbillys think that it just hurts the trees and there is no other danger. They don't care about trees. So they spend the $30 tree saver money on beer.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Yes, it was a complete oversight and a bad mistake to air it. Sucks to have mistakes visable to thousands of veiwers. Oh well, hope they're editors are more careful next time.

(or the drivers more preppared) :d:

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
they were on 37 inch tires and couldnt make it. the rest of the group was on 39.5 to 44 inch tires. he should of let them try to make it then winch off from them. i had respect for the show but this just puts a real bad taste in my mouth.

if me or one off the folks on this board did this and posted pictures of said act we would be flamed beyond belief. and rightly so. but being its a big tv personality i feel as if people arnt being harsh enough with their feelings towards it.

private park or not its wrong, maybe not legally, but morally it is.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts