Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Get Some
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just changed the trans fluid in my 99 XJ, my question is Who the hell though that dipstick in the pan was a good idea. It's kind of a pain in the ass to fish the whole damn dipstick out.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
so you dropped the pan to change the fluid??? does that mean that the 99 doesn't have a drain plug??? every AW4 i've worked on has had a drain plug in the bottom of the pan.

or did you also replace the filter in which case dropping the pan makes sense.
either way, it's not that hard. next time, make sure the bolt holding the dipstick tube is nice and tight, and seperate the dipstick tube at the joint (about 1/2way down the tube). then it's easier to drop the pan. after that, remove the bolt and take out the upper part of the tube. then after re-installing the pan, you put a new o-ring on the upper part of the tube, stick it back into the lower part of the tube that's still attached to the pan and give it a gentle tap until it's seated. then put the bolt back in to hold the upper tube in place.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
so you dropped the pan to change the fluid??? does that mean that the 99 doesn't have a drain plug??? every AW4 i've worked on has had a drain plug in the bottom of the pan.

or did you also replace the filter in which case dropping the pan makes sense.
either way, it's not that hard. next time, make sure the bolt holding the dipstick tube is nice and tight, and seperate the dipstick tube at the joint (about 1/2way down the tube). then it's easier to drop the pan. after that, remove the bolt and take out the upper part of the tube. then after re-installing the pan, you put a new o-ring on the upper part of the tube, stick it back into the lower part of the tube that's still attached to the pan and give it a gentle tap until it's seated. then put the bolt back in to hold the upper tube in place.
2x my 98 has a drain plug. YOu could have just washed the filter. It's only a metal screen IIRC.

·
Get Some
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it has a drain plug but i also changed the filter. next time i may try and seperate the tube in the middle. i just thought it was kind of a stupid idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts