Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm finally starting to work on my xj.

As of now I can jump the selanoid and it will start but when I turn the key no starty. I have power to the starter. What's going on? Any ideas, thanks? Oh 94 4.0

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I initially thought it was the starter so I pulled it and had it checked and its fine. I don't know much about auto electrics besides hooking up lights and stereos. I checked the wires going to the starter and they are fine, powered and grounded. I don't know how to chech the ignition or what relay it would be.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Well I initially thought it was the starter so I pulled it and had it checked and its fine. I don't know much about auto electrics besides hooking up lights and stereos. I checked the wires going to the starter and they are fine, powered and grounded. I don't know how to chech the ignition or what relay it would be.
do you have power at the starter?

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the starter checked today, it is good. I don't get it. I can jump the selinoid and it will start but when I turn the key, the lights on the dash go off but no cranking. The battery in the jeep is dead so I have been jumpstarting it.

·
i got the jeep thing
1,036 Posts
do you have power on the "s" terminal? if so then you need a starter, if not then check and see if the neutral safety switch is grounded in the crank position. good luck

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
do you have power on the "s" terminal? if so then you need a starter, if not then check and see if the neutral safety switch is grounded in the crank position. good luck
good thought did not think of that one... Manual or auto?

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the "s" terminal. And its a manual, and you don't have to push the clutch in so I don't think there is a neutral saftey switch

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, I put a brand new battery in today and will start when I jump the starter like before, still no start with the key.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You have a bad ignition switch, it is a common problem, it happend to mine, I just wired a push button under my dash. Thn you will still have to turn the key to the on position, and push the button to start, alot cheaper and will last longer than buying a new ignition switch.

·
Cuz I Can
1,286 Posts
Try starting it in neutral. I just had that problem, and it was the "park" switch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts