Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my shocks today and I snapped off the welded stud on the rear lower shock mount (driver side).

Any fixes out there? Searches have left me with nothing. I talked to a guy in a shop and seemed to think there would be some kind of "kit" to address this. Otherwise a re-weld is in order?

By the way, I snapped off three of the four upper shock mounts in the rear...found this, which was extremely helpful.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/broken_shock_mounts.htm

Any tips or words of wisdom would be appreciated!

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I was replacing my shocks today and I snapped off the welded stud on the rear lower shock mount (driver side).
I swear that was just a bolt-on mount when I looked at the 8.25 I just pulled. What axle do you have?

By the way, I snapped off three of the four upper shock mounts in the rear...
You have 4 shocks in the back of your XJ? :tonka:

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
Can you possibly drill out and tap the remaining portion of the shock mount, and use a bolt?

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437510

I had the same thing happen to me. I took a 1/2 coarse thread bolt and welded it on, cut it down and spun a nut on. You may need a couple of washers depending on welding skill.

For what it's worth you don't need to cut a hole in your floor. there is an open pocket on the inside of the frame that you can fish new bolts thru with a little bit of wire or a wrench. the hole I'm talking about is in the bottom left corner of this pic, covered by the hoses. Take a punch and a big hammer and the captured bolts will break loose and then you can fish the old parts with a magnet. Then tape a bolt to a wrench and put it in the hole.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upper shock mount "bolts" that is...broke three out of four.

Found these, thanks to NAXJA:

Perhaps I'll order them and fix the problem permanently.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
I did the same thing and ended up just drilling and tapping it for the next size. It hasn't broke yet....

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
....Orrr....

Remove your rear swaybar and use the bracket that is connecting the links to the rear axle ... drill holes in the bracket and crossmember and you made you own eye bolt eliminator! Yay!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up cutting the stud off, grinding it down smooth and drilling straight thru the mount with a 9/16". Took a couple hours, but it's done...with easy access for the next shock job. Looking forward to doing the other side when that stud breaks off.

On a side note, this is my daily driver. Wouldn't removing the rear sway bar give my kids a heckuva ride in the back?

Thanks for all the input.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
I ended up cutting the stud off, grinding it down smooth and drilling straight thru the mount with a 9/16". Took a couple hours, but it's done...with easy access for the next shock job. Looking forward to doing the other side when that stud breaks off.

On a side note, this is my daily driver. Wouldn't removing the rear sway bar give my kids a heckuva ride in the back?
No. You probably wouldn't even know you removed it. With leafs in the rear, it's pretty stable.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,166 Posts

No......it is completely not noticeable.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
You did almost exactly what I did. I snapped the lower passenger side mount, and 3 upper studs.
Air drill worked awesome drilling out the studs, then retap and buy some grade 8 zinc plated bolts, the gold ones for bling.
I don't know who would reweld my lower stud though. I like your idea of drilling it and putting a new stud in, that's what I should do.
I'm running no swaybars and 2 shocks, and it isn't too bad. I like the way the Jeep dips in when I turn. I also like it when it bottoms out when I punch it, makes people think I've got a lot of horsepower.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts