Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the freeway today when the Jeep started shaking real bad. Pulled over and kicked one of the rear tires and the wheel almost fell off. It was being held on by like one lugnut; one lug sheared off and the other 3 lugnuts had about 2 turns by hand before they fell off.
How do I replace the lug?

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
How did I know that was coming...
I wasn't sure if the bolt was fused in there or pounded in, some cars it's fused.
whats even worse was thats the best i could come up with next to 5 gallons of gas and a match.....cause i really couldn't answer your question honestly

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats even worse was thats the best i could come up with next to 5 gallons of gas and a match.....cause i really couldn't answer your question honestly
At least I got a quick, straight to the point response on it though. I figured this would've been a flamefest.
Honestly, I don't know how the wheel just magically loosened up the way it did. I seriously woke up today and felt the wobble earlier but it wasn't really a wobble, more like a clicking sound. Then again I wasn't driving 70 mph. I got out and kicked the tire that was making the clicking, it was fine, I figured it was nothing. I always double check the lugnuts and make sure they are tightened down after I'm done working on the Jeep, which hasn't been for a couple of weeks.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
the funny part is when your tire makes noise u kick it.............

almost as good as if its broken and u whack it with a hammer and it dosen't fix it then its junk...get a new one...........

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, it wasn't that. I figured the tire might've been going flat or something. I've been known to drive 50 miles on a tire that was going flat. Hit a sharp piece of metal that stayed in the tire so it leaked slower.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
to replace the stud, you just knock it out with a hammer. to put the new one back in, they make a special tool or you can get some big washers and stack them about 1/2-1" thick. then use the extra lug nut that you purchased to pull it through.

what could have caused them to break off??? leaving them loose, overtightening, vandalism. that's pretty much it (some odd circumstances might also cause it, but those 3 are the common once)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always double check to make sure the lugnuts are tight after working on the Jeep, which hasn't been for a while. It was making a clicking noise for a couple of days before this but I checked the wheel and it wasn't loose or flat, so I figured somehow the wheel wasn't balanced. I even checked it a few hours before I left and it was tight.
And I'd love to have a shop do my work, but I'm too poor and have bad luck with shops anyway. I may break stuff a lot but at least I can figure out what I broke and how to fix it rather than having a guy try to tell me my flux capacitor is bad and is causing my MPG to decrease by 20%.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
to replace the stud, you just knock it out with a hammer. to put the new one back in, they make a special tool or you can get some big washers and stack them about 1/2-1" thick. then use the extra lug nut that you purchased to pull it through.

Um, please don't do it this way.

They are supposed to be pressed in. If you must do it another way, use a hammer and a drift punch or something to drive them in.

Drawing them through with the lug nut is one of the easy ways to over stress them, and have them, well, break off when you are driving..

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
BTW, a NAPA or similar has them for a buck or two. I just ordered 12 this morning for my rear disc conversion...

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts

They are supposed to be pressed in. If you must do it another way, use a hammer and a drift punch or something to drive them in.

Drawing them through with the lug nut is one of the easy ways to over stress them, and have them, well, break off when you are driving..
Over stress a lug by tightening it?? I have been doing it like that for 30 years. Maybe they are making lugs out of lighter material these days.. :sonicjay:

I always used oversized washers and the flat side of a lug nut to pull them in, and have never had one break while driving.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

really??? next time you see a snapon or mac tool truck, ask them for the tool to install lug studs. it's a simple bearing with a center section for the new lug nut and it perfectly spaces the new stud. you just put the bearing tool over the new stud, put a lug nut on it and tighten it until the stud is pressed into the hub. then you loosen the lug nut and remove the bearing. seems weird that the 2 biggest tool companies are selling destructive habbits.

using the washers is the "poor mans bearing" for pulling the studs through.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts