Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking this now in case I need help later. I'm 5 minutes from grabbing my FSM and heading to work where the Jeep is to try and pull the lock cylinder from the steering column.

Its a 1998 and the key won't turn the cylinder. I've tried turning the wheel, wiggling the shifter, etc... I've rolled the jeep forward and backwards doing all of those to try and get it to move. I've tapped on the cylinder with a small hammer, squirted WD-40 in it, etc... My wife informs me that it sometimes "catches" when she turns the key "OFF". So, I'm assuming its probably the cylinder.

Before I even look at the FSM, I'm asking the stupid questions in case later tonight, I have a question! What do you do to pull the lock cylinder? Pull the air bag?

Main issue I can forsee is that I CAN'T TURN THE KEY AT ALL. Some small writeups I found on the net say to move the key to the "ON" position to remove the cylinder, but I can't rotate it. I'm slightly concerned.

Thanks,

Lucas

·
3,591 Posts
mitchell on demand says to have the key in the run position.
i have no idea if it will come out if you don't do that but i can tell you that they cap locked the word "run" when talking about it.

good luck :beer:

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
The tumblers stick over time so, tap the cylinder where the key goes in, use med force, with a ball peen hammer, insert key and see if it will turn. You might have to do it several times. Also, make sure you turn the wheel to the side so it is not in it's lock postion. IIRC there is a access hole in the bottom of the cover. This is the reason jeeps are easy to steal.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here I sit broken hearted. Yup, can't budge it. FSM says to rotate key to "RUN" position. Yeah.

I checked the Brake Park Interlock Cable per FSM. It appears to be loose and not hanging up.

Should I take a grinder to the inside of the lock and wobble it out? Just to remove it? I wonder if I should start googling "stealing cars"...?

Lucas

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats just what I did. I'll call it a night and resume tomorrow. The screwdriver I have keeps popping out, so tonight I'll grab big bertha from home and tomorrow steal my first car. Hopefully then I can just rotate it and depress the button and pull the lock cylinder out.

Dealer wants 130 bucks for a new one keyed to match all my existing keys, said they could do it in 30 minutes and had 5 in stock. Local auto parts store doesn't carry them for my model. Bastards.

Lucas

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big bertha helped, but the pipe wrench worked better, snapped off the front of the lock, then bertha worked to finish it off. Its kinda neat starting your truck with a screwdriver, maybe I'll leave it like this....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts