Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 98 XJ in to have the a/c fixed. I was told that it would be $550 to fix because of a part that is bad behind the dash and the entire dash has to come out to replace this part. Does anyone know what a/c part that is in behind the dash? I was in shock when the guy told me the price to fix it, I kinda blocked out everything else he had to say about it.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
evaporator core. it is a time consuming job. it pays 7 hours and that is what kills you not the price of parts.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
$550 isn't a bad price for that much work. that's at least what i would charge.maybe more. heater cores and a/c evaporators are 2 things that most mechanics absolutely hate to do. it's alot of work.

roll down the window during the summer, and convert your a/c compressor to onboard air.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
$550 isn't a bad price for that much work. that's at least what i would charge.maybe more. heater cores and a/c evaporators are 2 things that most mechanics absolutely hate to do. it's alot of work.

roll down the window during the summer, and convert your a/c compressor to onboard air.
x2 on the price. I have heard many places charging into the $1,000 range for that exact same work.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
Do it your self it's not that hard. Plus having the A/C on druing a trail ride is nice when you can't take the top off. And not it won't over heat, atleast my Xj never did this past weekend.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
You can charge the a/c yourself as well...
How do you evacuate the system yourself? I know you can't just charge it up, it needs a vacuum.

I would get a second opinion, how did they diagnose the problem? Do evaporators usually go bad? I have had compressors, condensers and driers go bad, but never an evap.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you evacuate the system yourself? I know you can't just charge it up, it needs a vacuum.

I would get a second opinion, how did they diagnose the problem? Do evaporators usually go bad? I have had compressors, condensers and driers go bad, but never an evap.
It has been to three shops and the other two couldnt even find the leak. The first two put dye in it and still couldnt find where the leak was coming from. The last place I took it to put so much dye in it to track it they finally found a spot by the evaporator hose. I was also told that Chrysler has an issue with the solder on the evaporators under the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts