Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing about a 88 toy, 1 ton pickup with a 4 cylinder.

Was there such a beast? And if so....WTF? :sonicjay:

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
IIRC they were more along the lines of a 2WD work truck. Probably what was used on the motorhome Toyotas.

There have been rumors of them coming out with a 1 ton Tundra but I haven't seen anything in a while about it.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Yes, there were 1 ton 2wd setups. dually full-float rear.

Shit, rattler, the 1/2 ton Tundra already has a Dana 70/14 bolt sized rear axle.....

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
yeah, they were. There were many 4 cyl motor homes, my ex parents-in-law had one. Was slow, but it worked.

If you are in a city, and need a flatbed delivery truck that can handle some weight, it worked fine. Thats what they were for.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy crap. One of my students has one...not a dually though. I thought he was smoking crack when he said he had a 1 ton 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive toy.

:tonka:

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
yea, i had one at one time, it was a 2wd, single cab long box single wheel, 22re, five speed manual, with the big thing being that it had a factory 4.56 rear end in it. ours was a "convertible" hehe. it was known as the "red rocket" due to its flying abilities. i still have the one ton badges stashed away.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
I remember them having Motorhome chassies back in the day with a dually rear end. them and Nissan both used fused rims. the hubs were normal and the rims had to be broke down by hand(I've done many) but all they did was use a outer rim with a connector flange to the other standard rim.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
yea, i had one at one time, it was a 2wd, single cab long box single wheel, 22re, five speed manual, with the big thing being that it had a factory 4.56 rear end in it. ours was a "convertible" hehe. it was known as the "red rocket" due to its flying abilities. i still have the one ton badges stashed away.
Those badges were badass. They sat behind the doors and said 1 TON in huge letters all sideways and stuff...bringing back some memories Dizzle!

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
I remember looking at a new 85 Toyota Hi-Lux 1-ton back in the day.

It was a 4-popper one-ton pickup - I don't recall if it had a 4-speed or 5-speed tranny. It was a base model - not an SR-5.

They sold a few of them in rural IN as farm trucks.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
I remember someone on here having one there were pics posted hmm brb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts