Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some camping gear.
You know, that stuff you bought, used once or twice and is meow stored somewhere.

I am Scout Leader and camp often, but with the Scouts.
So, I have had no need for some of this stuff, for my Scout Troop/Pack is fully equipped.
Now, my son wants to do some camping, but I do not own any of the cooking gear.
I have plenty of tents, sleeping bags and that sorta thing.
It's the cooking gear I do not own.

In fact, we want to go back the Scout Camp/Chief Little Turtle for Family Camp over the Labor Day Weekend.

Items I am looking for:
  • Cast Iron Dutch Oven (the one thing I am looking the hardest for)
  • Forks for roasting hot dogs, marshmallows, etc..
  • Pie Iron for making hot sandwiches, fried fruit pies..
  • Grill or grate for open fire.
  • Small axe/hatchet.
  • Coleman style Lantern.
  • Not looking for a campstove, as I like cooking on an open fire, but will take one just the same.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
[*]Cast Iron Dutch Oven (the one thing I am looking the hardest for)
[*]Forks for roasting hot dogs, marshmallows, etc..
[*]Pie Iron for making hot sandwiches, fried fruit pies..
[*]Grill or grate for open fire.
[*]Small axe/hatchet.
[*]Coleman style Lantern.
[*]Not looking for a campstove, as I like cooking on an open fire, but will take one just the same.
[/LIST]
Use a stick for the dogs and marshmallows. The rest will cost you 80 bucks TOPS at a sporting goods store.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, yes, I know I could pick this stuff up at Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods, Wally World (Walmart) and several other places.

As I would not use this gear by myself that often (meaning in a non-Scouting environment),
it does not make sense to drop a bunch $$$ for gear that will only be used occasionally.

My Scout troop has a local policy not to loan equipment to anyone for any reason.
Also, they act funny when Scouts bring they own equipment to event, for the fear of safety (Little Johnny's poorly maintained brand X lantern blowing up)
and getting Troop gear mixed up with personal gear.
I fully understand and respect this and as a member of the Troop Leadership, I enforce this.
With this in mind, owning a lot of new or expensive camping gear is not wise.

My purpose for creating this posting is hopefully, someone out here has this stuff stored, collecting dust and maybe some rust and does not need or use it any longer.
This would be a win-win for all involved.

The ninth part of the Scout Law is that a Scout is to be "Thrifty".
I am trying to practice and live what I preach and teach to young Scouts growing into young Men.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Seriously...garage sale/resale shop for this stuff. That's how I buy my camping gear. I find stuff for a quarter.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
HEY! I had that tag line first! (Happy happy joy joy)

:poke:

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
I don't think you're happy enough! That's right! I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs! Now, boys and girls, let's try it again!

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
HAH! I've been called worse...

I need sleep. I'm quoting Ren and Stimpy at 1am on the internet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts