Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2000 wrangler, 4.0 ,5 speed. Kids are getting bigger and there just isn’t enough room in the back seat . Here is my dilemma (not really I’m sure if the answer , just asking people with experience), I’m shopping for an unlimited, and there are some fair buys on 2007-2011, but that comes with kryptonite (205hp motor) . Even if u regear to say 4:11 and flash computer, is it just not worth it ?? Just buy 2012 or newer and get the 285hp ?? I mean it seems to be an obvious no brainer !! But I’ve never driven one with 3.8 . Anyway, am I correct, that the 3.6 is hands down the better of the 2 for power and all around drive ability ??? Thanks guys !! Decided to put the 2000 wrangler up for sale 😔

·
Gustafson
9,085 Posts
I personally wouldn't want the 3.8.

I haven't driven the 3.8 in the wrangler, I drove it in a minivan (which is where Chrysler pulled it from) and it was a turd. The Pentastar 3.6 is a far superior motor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you can get into the 3.6L pentastar you'll be much happier. The 3.8L is an oil burner too...fill up the oil and check the gas!

·
Red Dragons!
1,964 Posts
I have owned both as well. The only reason to get the 3.8 would be price. But only if it leaves enough money for a hemi or ls swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts