Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
They were talking on the news last night about food shortages globally and what that would mean for the US.

Seems the new (old) idea of farm to table could become somewhat the new norm.... You eat what is grown where you live when it's in season....
I have been hearing the same about food shortages. My wife has been stocking up on lots of stuff. So much so we bought another freezer and going to start filling it up. I did start a small garden this year. I ran drip lines to all the plants and have been busy pruning and tying up tomato and cucumber plants. I did tell my wife that we will be canning stuff this fall.
I'd like to put up a greenhouse but my back yard is too wet and the front yard...well the township might have something to say about that.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Global food shortages mean people in countries you can't easily name will die.

In America it means you won't be able to get 7 kinds of Oreo all year.

But having some continency food has definitely been handy when prices have spiked here and there.

In the auto industry, our forecasts and orders for the near term are up over record highs. And I'm unsure why because I expect rate hikes to pile drive new car buying and new car prices, but my forecasts may just be slow to react. I didn't have access to this level of information back in 08 to compare.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,254 Posts
I'm a district service manager for GM and cover 21 dealerships in Ann Arbor/Toledo area. I deal with the service lane and there is no slow down on my end. If anything, its more busy because people are keeping their vehicles and getting them maintained as you cannot ..... A) find a new vehicle B) afford a new vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I work as a mechanical design engineer for a company that manufactures liquid filling equipment (fillers, conveyors, cappers, etc). Last ten years we've been growing and growing. This year the orders have slowed a little bit still more work than we can handle. I feel confident my position is recession proof. Seems like just about every employer I see (government to small business) around here in NW Indiana is hiring but can't find people to fill positions.

I've got a good chunk of money in savings, no debt besides my house (payment is less than an apartment) and small balance on my student loan. I also live pretty well within my means and put a good amount into savings every month. So financial I feel like I'm in a pretty good place to handle a recession.

I'm starting to feel a little squeeze from inflation, mainly in food and gas prices. So I've cut back on my spending for the buggy build, set a weekly budget, and not taking as many vacations as I would have.

When it comes to food shortages I'm I'll prepared. I don't like to eat canned food so don't keep much of that on hand. Always wanted to have a stocked freezer but life's been good so it hasn't been a priority. Probably need to do something here sooner than later to get prepared.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,693 Posts
Work is a mixed bag. Some hiring, but they are constantly messing with what/when you can bring people in. We have more work than we know what to do with, but we are told to make due with current headcount in current area.

Hearing more and more that vehicle repos are way up. Seeing more and more signs that look a lot like housing crash. With how fast house prices shot up, I'm not going to be shocked if we have another wave like late 00's. Maybe not the same method, but the same outcome.

Since we've been in the same house almost 18 years, we have taken advantage of low interest rates and have more than enough house with no need to upgrade. Likely our next move will be years down the road, and possibly to a smaller house (hopefully bigger shop). One kid starting college, the other a sophomore in HS, so we are settled in. I'm concerned, but hope elections help to turn the tide.

·
Project Antitube
1,246 Posts
Used auto market is imploding right now, faster than I thought it would. Consumer loans for cars doubled in the last decade to $1.4t.

Repossessions are way up, higher than before the pandemic. So that means if people are letting their car go they don't need to go to work. Which means they're unemployed/underemployed. One of my beefs with the unemployment numbers is it doesn't track who can't collect unemployment.

Everyone I know is either in a hiring freeze/laying people off or hiring like crazy. So weird that right now I don't hear from anyone saying that "business is usual". I think we're still remaking the economy.

·
Skymaster
2,547 Posts
That's a pretty cool job! Hopefully all goes well with FedEx.
Thanks I'm pretty excited! It's a lot of fun. I fly some old boeing 727s, 2 of them were built for fedex and were actually the 3rd and 2nd to last 727s built. No screens and the autopilot is pretty archaic. We joke it's one of the last real flying jobs before we go to a major airline and become button pushers with all the automation nowadays.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
I am a manager at a machine shop in Muskegon. While we would like to diversify, we primarily work in the aerospace industry doing lots of different types of work (grinding, EDM, std. machining and project management). We are doing alright without any extraordinary amount of work. Biggest issue we have had is loosing some employees this year (retirement and termination for poor personal decisions made). We have never had much problem with this in the past. So here we are in a horrible time to hire, trying to replace people. Our work load should maintain a reasonable amount of consistency through the upcoming downturn. If not, I will turn to my second job.
My second job is flipping almost anything (ATV, SXS, UTV, cars and houses) as well as machining parts in my home shop (CNC VMC & tool sharpening equipment).

For personal food, I have ammo and 40 acres. Nature should provide. Beyond that we stock a decent amount at home, but nothing crazy. In America food shortages normally means higher prices more than anything. Thankfully I know a lot of farmers so hopefully all will be well.

I like XXXJ's saying = Other than that “it’s not safe outside the compound”. lol

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,249 Posts
Hoping used cars come down a lot soon; Wife and I need to get something to replace the Fusion, but I refuse to pay 20K for an 8 year old car with 100k miles on it. On the flip side it means the fusion wont get much if we trade it in, or sell it ourselves, but whatever. Give and take.

I work in the government, small section of a divison, I think my job is pretty safe; my salary is fully reimbursed from the state and those funds should be the safest to not be lost. So I should be good to go. We definitely feel the effects of the the inflation, but since 2020 we have maintained a good stock of non-pershiable foods, canned goods..etc. Two freezers are full of venison and pork, so we're pretty good on food wise. Obviously things like eggs and milk may be harder to come by, but luckily, there is a ton of local egg producers and produce around the Alpena area. Lots of farmers market foods, freinds have huge gardens, so our fresh produce supply should be good as well.

Times like this I'm extra glad we live in a rural area for the local food supplies. Even meats there's lots of local suppliers. Still prices will go up, but the suppply should be ok.

Reactions: aber61

·
Gustafson
10,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hoping used cars come down a lot soon; Wife and I need to get something to replace the Fusion, but I refuse to pay 20K for an 8 year old car with 100k miles on it. On the flip side it means the fusion wont get much if we trade it in, or sell it ourselves, but whatever. Give and take.

I work in the government, small section of a divison, I think my job is pretty safe; my salary is fully reimbursed from the state and those funds should be the safest to not be lost. So I should be good to go. We definitely feel the effects of the the inflation, but since 2020 we have maintained a good stock of non-pershiable foods, canned goods..etc. Two freezers are full of venison and pork, so we're pretty good on food wise. Obviously things like eggs and milk may be harder to come by, but luckily, there is a ton of local egg producers and produce around the Alpena area. Lots of farmers market foods, freinds have huge gardens, so our fresh produce supply should be good as well.

Times like this I'm extra glad we live in a rural area for the local food supplies. Even meats there's lots of local suppliers. Still prices will go up, but the suppply should be ok.
Thanks for the reminder... The next time I am up your way I need to go to Perch's and restock some meat.... :ROFLMAO:

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,249 Posts
Thanks for the reminder... The next time I am up your way I need to go to Perch's and restock some meat.... :ROFLMAO:
Perchs' and Marine Market, best meat in this part of the state

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I am a manager at a machine shop in Muskegon. While we would like to diversify, we primarily work in the aerospace industry doing lots of different types of work (grinding, EDM, std. machining and project management). We are doing alright without any extraordinary amount of work. Biggest issue we have had is loosing some employees this year (retirement and termination for poor personal decisions made). We have never had much problem with this in the past. So here we are in a horrible time to hire, trying to replace people. Our work load should maintain a reasonable amount of consistency through the upcoming downturn. If not, I will turn to my second job.
My second job is flipping almost anything (ATV, SXS, UTV, cars and houses) as well as machining parts in my home shop (CNC VMC & tool sharpening equipment).

For personal food, I have ammo and 40 acres. Nature should provide. Beyond that we stock a decent amount at home, but nothing crazy. In America food shortages normally means higher prices more than anything. Thankfully I know a lot of farmers so hopefully all will be well.

I like XXXJ's saying = Other than that “it’s not safe outside the compound”. lol
By the sounds of it you are pretty much set if SHTF.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
We’ve been stocking up for the past few years, ever since covid started. We need a chimney rebuild, happening in August. A manual grain mill, plus a few years of corn, wheat, oats, and sunflower for the hens. Already have wood and a wood stove. 1/4 cow in the freezer and more jars than than we can fill until garden harvest.
look into the world economic forum and their plans to turn America into a 3rd world nation. The opportunity is now. Happy NWO.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
We’ve been stocking up for the past few years, ever since covid started. We need a chimney rebuild, happening in August. A manual grain mill, plus a few years of corn, wheat, oats, and sunflower for the hens. Already have wood and a wood stove. 1/4 cow in the freezer and more jars than than we can fill until garden harvest.
look into the world economic forum and their plans to turn America into a 3rd world nation. The opportunity is now. Happy NWO.
Things can happen really fast. Look how quickly things went from, we're doing ok to 5 and 6 bucks a gallon for gas and inflation from 1.4 to 9+
The poor are feeling it now. The middle class for most are concerned and watching what's happening and the rich are just living life.
It seems like everything the democrats touch turns to crap.
Like or hate what Trump did and his policies they were better for America as a whole.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I figured what will it hurt to live as self sufficiently as I can. Regardless of who is in office or which party is pulling the strings, taxes, energy costs, and food prices just keep going up faster than my hourly wage. The only thing I have any control over is what happens in the rectangle I live in.

·
Motrcytman's spouse
7,213 Posts
From a business standpoint, our business is booming with record sales and backlog so my job is secure for the foreseeable future. But in general, I am concerned. I've been telling my wife for years that I want to install a wood stove. Problem is I don't have a good location for it.
Are you both still working?
I gotta think you pretty much run your company anyway. Lol.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts