Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A follow up from the last discussion. After an MRI and a CAT scan (shouldn't it be a DOG scan? :tonka:), looks like we found the real issue.

One of our beagles had been in severe pain, and suffering ataxia/mild paralysis, especially in the hind quarters. We've had other beagles suffer disc problems, but this wasn't healing with normal vet treatments.

So, apparently, what happened was that due to the original compressed disc, it cut off white blood cell flow in her spine. The partial paralysis lead to a urinary tract infection, which, with the impaired blood flow spread and became a bone infection in her spine. That caused swelling which further compressed the spine, worsening the syptoms and causing her health to fail in general.

The combination of an MRI, and a CAT scan/Myleogram with dye injected in her spine found the issue(the MRI was being distored by a BB lodged in her spine from a previous life...).

So, its 6 weeks of antibiotics and she should be back to normal. After 7 days of treatment, she's already 75% back to normal and increasing every day.

So, the dog lovers can be happy for Lucy, and the Haggar haters can laugh that I spent $4000 on doggie imaging/diagnostics. Me, I can smile being able to pet my dog without her howling in pain.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am really happy to hear that things are going to turn out well. I love my dog like he is my kid and I don't know what I would do if put in that situation. I am glad you were able help out your pooch and hopefully you will have many more good years together ahead.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:rock: Glad to hear the good news. I am also one that would probably shell out the money to help a pet in pain. Hope all continues to go well :thumb:
Took 10 weeks, and 9 separate vet visits to 4 different clinics to figure it out. Sheesh..

I'm just glad the animal neurology center was close(its in commerce twp), its supposedly the only place that can do the MRI scans we got, in michigan. Jamie said there were many cars there from ohio, and people from northern michigan there.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am glad it worked out for ya!

So did they move the compressed disc?
No, the disc actually compression healed itself with the meds + kennel rest, but as that healed, the infection also compressed the spine as well, which meant the symptoms never got better, but kept getting worse.

We have 3 beagles, and this is the fourth compressed disc issue. years and years of chasing squirrels, etc, especially the jumping they do to get into trees after them, it leads to disc issues. These dogs are MUCH more active than the average housedog.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm glad to hear your pup is getting better. Personally, I wouldn't be able to afford $4000 for a dog, but if I could I wouldn't hesitate.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
So, the dog lovers can be happy for Lucy, and the Haggar haters can laugh that I spent $4000 on doggie imaging/diagnostics. Me, I can smile being able to pet my dog without her howling in pain.
It's amazing what we're willilng to spend on our pets, isn't it? Our rottie had two knee surgeries (different knees), and after several vet appointments (with no improvement) finally had dental surgery for cracked teeth (liked to eat rocks, apparently the vet couldn't figure that out).

After all that the dog literally dropped dead one morning at only 6 years old (apparent stroke).

Damn, that was a good dog! :(

Glad to hear the good news about your dog!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Took 10 weeks, and 9 separate vet visits to 4 different clinics to figure it out. Sheesh..

I'm just glad the animal neurology center was close(its in commerce twp), its supposedly the only place that can do the MRI scans we got, in michigan. Jamie said there were many cars there from ohio, and people from northern michigan there.

I have some very good friends who work there. Top notch place! A plug for my friends...they have opened up an ER clinic there at night as well.

Glad to hear your pup is doing well. Don't feel bad, we spent $2K on our dog in 3 days and we ended up losing him...

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I hear ya on the VET bills - been there done that. Now it is 2 pills twice daily for the rest of his life.

Good to see/hear people that care for thier pets rather than abanonment.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
The $40/month I pay for insurance for my 2 dogs is sooooooo worth it.

In its second month it completely covered a mass (possible) tumor removal that would have cost me $2200

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The $40/month I pay for insurance for my 2 dogs is sooooooo worth it.

In its second month it completely covered a mass (possible) tumor removal that would have cost me $2200
I thought about it for our dog, when I looked into it, it would not cover a CAT scan or MRI.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ours are generally pretty healthy, other than the spine injuries. We've had 2 broken legs over the years from fighting, and just routine stuff. but dental + yearly shots for 3 dogs is still pricey.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
I too have been there. our oldest cat had crystals and couldn't pee, finally he collapsed. we took him to the emergency vet. $1500 to save his life immediately, then another $400 at the regular vet. that was 7 years ago he is now 18 and going strong:)

·
German cars are hot
11,450 Posts
That is great news. I took my dog to the vet this morning because she was throwing up and having diareha all night. I paid an emergency vet fee just to have them tell me to take her home and if she is still having problems in two days to bring her back. :tonka:
I love my puppy though. I think when you get a pet you make a commitment to care for them. If I didnt feel strongly about that I would have put my dog with mental problems down a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
That is great news. I took my dog to the vet this morning because she was throwing up and having diareha all night. I paid an emergency vet fee just to have them tell me to take her home and if she is still having problems in two days to bring her back. :tonka:
I love my puppy though. I think when you get a pet you make a commitment to care for them. If I didnt feel strongly about that I would have put my dog with mental problems down a long time ago.
Typically only the food. A change in food (new brand) will cause this. Food that is TOO rich will cause it too. I spent enough on our Golden when he went through that as a pup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts