Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in a lot of places that there are several reasons for the wobble around 45-50 mph, but I'm looking for what to do first.

I have my 2000 XJ lifted (about 3-4") with 1.25" spring spacers and ZJ coils in the front and an AAL with shackles in the back. I have yet to change out my shocks from stock and I'm thinking that's my major problem.

New shocks? New LCA's (necessary?)? Re-balance the tires? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance...

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
I've read in a lot of places that there are several reasons for the wobble around 45-50 mph, but I'm looking for what to do first.

I have my 2000 XJ lifted (about 3-4") with 1.25" spring spacers and ZJ coils in the front and an AAL with shackles in the back. I have yet to change out my shocks from stock and I'm thinking that's my major problem.

New shocks? New LCA's (necessary?)? Re-balance the tires? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance...
First thing is make sure the alignment is right, steering/suspension components are tight, and the tires are balanced.

You're still using stock shocks on 3"-4" lift?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Do a search for "death wobble". Shocks shouldn't have much to do with it, but definitely could be swapped for some longer ones.

·
Small, but talented
2,750 Posts
Take it to Clyde's in Pontiac.

They are the Deathwobble Gods!
I chased mine for awhile trying everything everybody had advice on.

They adjusted the alignment, which was in spec btw, Tow in 1/8" and dialed out some caster.

Smooth as new now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clyde's, eh? I will check them out. Find them under "Clyde's"?

I was not really down with chasing this wobble...

·
Registered
134 Posts
tie rod was one off my problems.the other could be track bar bolt going to the frame rail bracket.mine wore out replaced 2 times all ready.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the stock LCA's good to? I saw someone who had a 6" and was running stocks. Am I still good with 3-4" and stock LCA's? Thanks for all the input.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
New steering dampner and Bald tire or balance of tire.
Why do people always blame deathwobble on a steering dampener all it does is mask the problem .:chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts