Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
The Boss
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to buy one.

I have WOW 15 Mbps with 1 Mbps upload internet.

I would be using my XBOX 360 and one or two laptops on it.

I have heard they slow your connection down some but have never dealt with them.

What one can I get that I can keep as much speed as possible and not cost an arm and a leg?

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
If you feel like spending the money, I hear great things about the Asus WL500G. Should be reasonably priced on newegg, but probably not available locally.

I wouldn't recommend anything with "speedboost" or "rangeboost" type technologies. Those techs do things that are not included in the wifi standards, and break shit. I've seen it over and over again, where you disable that shit, and everything works fine again.

The Linksys WRT54G tends to be a pretty solid choice.

If you consider yourself at all a power user, read some reviews on newegg or other sites before you buy a specific unit. Doing things as simple as using bittorrent can break certain consumer routers.

·
Old School
33,047 Posts
looking to buy one.

I have WOW 15 Mbps with 1 Mbps upload internet.

I would be using my XBOX 360 and one or two laptops on it.

I have heard they slow your connection down some but have never dealt with them.

What one can I get that I can keep as much speed as possible and not cost an arm and a leg?
Even an 802.11b router will be fast enough for this.

You can't go faster than your ISP, the only speed advantage to a faster router would be between computers on you home network.

Oh, and I have been using a D-link for 4 years with no issues.

·
The Boss
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my PC will not be used for wireless. and the laptops prob won't be running bittorrent.

Mainly I just want to make sure its good for the XBOX and just general laptop usage with out a real noticeable speed decrease.

Thanks for the info...

I pretty much don't know anything about wireless net.:fish:

·
Old School
33,047 Posts
The more boxes linked on your network, the slower it runs.

When on Xbox Live, turn off the laptops.

That being said, 802.11g will be more than fast enough, and it's the cheapest right now. 802.11b is no longer being made new, but if you got one used I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
Go for G, the G speeds and range are worth whatever you pay in the long run, especially if you ever transfer any files over your network to other computers. Plus, as it's shared 54Mbps bandwidth (not per computer), you can have more computers running at decent speeds, theoretically.

N is still in draft status, I personally wouldn't go for it.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
C and N are useless if your components cant support them. I think the xbox is b/g only just like the PS3. Also, speedboost ONLY works if you have speedboost on the client end, so again useless in an Xbox application. The speed of G is 54mbps MAX. older B devices can operate on a G network but they reduce the G network to B network speed which is 11mbps MAX.

Linksys/Cisco and Netgear are the top two best choices. D link is utter horseshit.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Just a note on N routers. The way N's get their speed and range is by combining the B and G loops and also both antennas for both transmit and receive. if a G or B device connects to an N router it reverts to a G and B router with one side/antenna covering the B network and the other the G.

·
Skymaster
2,541 Posts
I am using a linksys wrt54g with 2 laptops (both wireless only), a home computer, and then have another router (non wireless) connected to it that runs an xbox 360, a laptop (wired connection) and a home computer. Have had all on at the same time and no problems whatsoever. The only problem I have had was with the wrt54g losing connection and the linksys program did not help at all getting it working again. It took me about 3 hours before it was operational again.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
For folks that have connection issues with their wifi, you can get 7db antennas to replace the stock 5db ones which help tremendously when dealing with a hi RF noise area or simply in a location with lots of steel or other shielding in the walls. Other options include replace the firmware ( in most cases they have linux based kernels ) with aftermarket ones like Satori. The Linksys wrt54g for instance has ( or at least my model year had ) a max 8 milliwatt output for the broadcast power. With satori 4.0 I upped my output power to 28 milliwatts increasing my range to 1000 feet, but more importantly eliminating connection loss in my backyard as the router sits in an enclosure in the basement.

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
Linksys.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.