Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,771 Posts
Same, although looking back at things I thought were huge as a kid that I see now I think at least some of that was just perception. There's 3-4" of snow in my yard right now, no big deal to me but probably seemed like a foot to my kids. They had fun and sledding and stuff in it, but haven't had enough to build a giant snow cave for them like I did last year in one of our few good snowfalls.
I'm sure we all remember things out of proportion from our childhood. I've had people point that out to me - that I am remembering it bigger than it was. However, we had several storms with drifts up to the dining room window sill. Well, the window hasn't changed. Also, my brother and I used to dig snow tunnels in the drifts by my parents walk out basement. There hasn't been a pile of snow there big enough to tunnel in since my kids have been born.

·
Yooper In Training
7,481 Posts
I'm sure we all remember things out of proportion from our childhood. I've had people point that out to me - that I am remembering it bigger than it was. However, we had several storms with drifts up to the dining room window sill. Well, the window hasn't changed. Also, my brother and I used to dig snow tunnels in the drifts by my parents walk out basement. There hasn't been a pile of snow there big enough to tunnel in since my kids have been born.
Oh I'm not disputing what you're saying. There was definitely more snow what I was a kid, and I'm in my late 30s. You were born at the tail end of the last ice age!

• Wow
Reactions: whiterhino

·
Gustafson
10,253 Posts
Oh I'm not disputing what you're saying. There was definitely more snow what I was a kid, and I'm in my late 30s. You were born at the tail end of the last ice age!

:ROFLMAO:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,771 Posts
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

·
Yooper In Training
7,481 Posts
^ Jim was gonna write something witty but he fell asleep on the keyboard. Happens a lot at his age.

·
Desert Rat
7,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You wanted to move to the westside..... :ROFLMAO:

There is only 2 inches on the ground over here.
We got a little more than that.
Right now, this was the best move I could have made. Zero regrets.
AND after the Covid debacle we have a saying: “It’s not safe outside the compound”.

I saw a map that said we got 8”. I think it’s a foot.
Snow Sky Tree Branch Natural landscape

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,959 Posts
So far, we're actually having a real winter. It's been cold, and some type of snow about every other day.

Say what you want, but that's what winter is supposed to be. Not 35 degree temps and mud. As of now, I don't mind it at all.

Reactions: XXXJ and CSFJ

·
Gustafson
10,253 Posts
So far, we're actually having a real winter. It's been cold, and some type of snow about every other day.

Say what you want, but that's what winter is supposed to be. Not 35 degree temps and mud. As of now, I don't mind it at all.
I agree. if it's going to be winter, it might as well be cold and snowy.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
When I was a little kid, we lived in a trailer, in a trailer park just north of Plainwell. I have pictures of me climbing up the snow drifts and onto the roof of our trailer. My dad was a hero because he could take his snowmobile into town and get groceries for all the neighbors. That was in the late 70s.

·
Desert Rat
7,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
says 12, but we have 18” thanks to lake effect.

Ecoregion World Map Black Organism

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,959 Posts
As I said, not expecting a lot of snow, but still glad we have some and it snows just enough to keep it while and pretty. No snow and the gross brown, shit looking snow just piles up on the sides of the roads.

Temps have been fine cold, but exactly what winter should be. And it's been steady cold enough that it hasn't messed with the deer metabolism so it's been staying down and they have not been starving for food. All in all, good winter so far.

·
Yooper In Training
7,481 Posts
As I said, not expecting a lot of snow, but still glad we have some and it snows just enough to keep it while and pretty. No snow and the gross brown, shit looking snow just piles up on the sides of the roads.

Temps have been fine cold, but exactly what winter should be. And it's been steady cold enough that it hasn't messed with the deer metabolism so it's been staying down and they have not been starving for food. All in all, good winter so far.
Been pretty cold here as well. Not enough snow for much enjoyment, but the cold has at least kept things mostly white by me instead of grey and brown. Looks like next week is supposed to warm up quite a bit so that'll probably wipe out the 4" or so we got over the past couple days.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,959 Posts
Been pretty cold here as well. Not enough snow for much enjoyment, but the cold has at least kept things mostly white by me instead of grey and brown. Looks like next week is supposed to warm up quite a bit so that'll probably wipe out the 4" or so we got over the past couple days.
Hope it stays cold for at least another month; i'm enjoying a good cold winter. End of winter/early spring is an absolute shit part of the year. Everything is muddy, brown and looks like shit, literally and figuratively

·
Yooper In Training
7,481 Posts
Hope it stays cold for at least another month; i'm enjoying a good cold winter. End of winter/early spring is an absolute shit part of the year. Everything is muddy, brown and looks like shit, literally and figuratively
Agreed, although I'm more than willing to deal with it for the warming temps that actually stick around. I don't want the up/down/up/down swings that just tease you and make a mess of everything. My yard gets especially bad in that freeze/thaw cycle, as a matter of fact it did $4200 damage to my truck just before Thanksgiving thanks to the not-quite-frozen anymore crap.

·
Project Antitube
1,112 Posts
I'm over the cold weather. I don't mind 20s, but this negatives shit is for the birds. You can't be outside without gloves and as soon as you stop moving you get cold. If I run the diesel heater in the garage too much I end up with everything wet. In fact, right now as I type this, there are drips falling on me from the roofing nails poking through the sheathing. I really need to get a power vent heater.

The other day, just before we got this snow, I was running the wood splitter and my kneecaps got so cold they hurt.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts