Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
I plan on heading down there in a month. What are the specs on your XJ?

IT looks like a blast. Any carnage?

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My XJ is stock.

Carnage ... on that particular run I started to lose a u-joint. I've become familiar with the sound of one cracking and was able to catch it and pop the c-clips back in before it failed (2x). Finally at the end and not pulling cable the whole day I winched the last rock in order to save the shafts.

Overall: Myself for the 3 days:
Both front axle shafts
A boogered rear driveshaft
left outer tierod
blew a tire off the bead 1/10th mi into the trail on the first day :tonka:

Everyone else:
a couple of stub shafts
rear Rubi locker ... and I think that's it.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,453 Posts
Good thing you have 60's under that or you never would have made it!:sonicjay:

Now if you could just learn how to drive at the mounds.:poke:

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thing you have 60's under that or you never would have made it!:sonicjay:

Now if you could just learn how to drive at the mounds.:poke:
Seriously, that's funny! :thumb:

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How 'bout you come wheeling with me and we can test your video skills? Just not at the Mounds, that place is too hard on my XJ.

On a side note: all it does is cause friiction when I tell the camera woman how to do her job. :tonka:

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I failed to mention ... Iroks work just as good mounted backwards. :tonka:

The one on the left front is mounted wrong.

·
Slice of Starsage Anyone?
5,070 Posts
I need bigger tires

:(

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Sweet video. It doesn't do justice to the difficulty of the trail unless you see it in-person. Seriously, though, how long did it take you to get all the way up Rattle Rock? I was there in June riding with a bunch of radically-built Scramblers, and it's slow-going. I only rode along for the first leg of Rattle Rock, though.

Craig

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was the second half in the video ... we had three rigs that did that trail in the morning. If you total the time we spent actually driving and not waiting on the group in front of us it took us around 2 hours. All on video.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT bragging, but the three of us have wheel together before, know each others rig, driving style, what each other is willing to do and move quick.

The "buggies" that we let go aroung us, because someone else broke a stub shaft (not mine :tonka: ) took them 4 hours to move up just the second half. Needless to say, we weren't impressed

By the time their last guy finally reached the top, all three of us were up in less than an hour. By the time I was half way up and they figured out my XJ was near stock ... they walk away. :sonicjay:

Jiri in the green TJ in the pics in my build thread drove the second half in @10min. Yes, he was moving, we only had time to video him from the bottom.

They told us it was an all day 6-8hr trail from top to bottom, depending on breakage.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first half compared to the second half is sooooo different and once you reach that point ... there is no bypass. It's make it or break it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts