Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Windrock was a good time!

Leaving

We arrived Friday night and set up camp. I was woke up Saturday morning by the downpour that lasted about 1.5 hours. Got out of bed at 8:30 and was at the trail by 10.

Saturday was very very TN red clay greasy!!

When going down hills it was more of a controlled slide. This was quite unnerving considering that the drop off on the side of the trail would pretty much kill you. :(

No body likes to die . . . ya know :sonicjay:

When we got up in the mountains the fog rolled in and it was super dangerous with visibility at roughly 30 feet. Quads, dirtbikes and jeeps were cruising at like 2.5 miles per hours so there wasn't any accidents.

Basically the first half of the day kinda blew! The moderate trails were hard and the extreme trails where impossible so we just drove around and tried to have as much fun as possible.

At the end of the day we went and scouted our RattleRock. I walked down it from the top and wish I would have brought my camera with me. It is the most insane, intense, huge freekin boulder trail I've ever seen. At the bottom of the trail playing in the wet slick rocks was a tube jeep on 44s and was having quite the difficult time in the rocks. Like stupid slick when wet.

After that we went to help some dumb butt who went out wheeling by himself and without a winch. Good Karma we though :beer:

For dinner we went to Captain Tom's BBQ . . it was closed :(

So . . . we ended up at Sagebrush Steakhouse in Oak Ridge. DO NOT EAT THERE!!!! IT WAS HORRIBLE!! :whiz:

Day 2:

We were all set to hit Rattle Rock!!

But Joe broke on the way.

So winch time.

And fix it time :woot:

The problem child!

Almost wrapped up

Joe did good. Took about 45mins to get down the mountain and swap shafts.

A little mountain shot

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Part 2

And back to RattleRock.

This is a trail called Mule's pass that's on #15 on the way to RattleRock. It was pretty fun!

This is the drop in.

And going up.

Jason, in the YJ, is open open on 33s. He was a trooper and most of his runs were bump with speed and peddle to the metal high speed keep the the momentum wheeling. It was a blast to watch!

Joe, Silver Rubi, is on a 6" Clayton kit with 36" grooved swapmers.

I thought the first time was too easy and decided to take a harder route. This is where I landed full on my Passenger side lower control arm and bent it about an 1 or so. Steve at Full Traction was pretty impressed with my ability to bend one :teehee:

Straight

Bent. I'll have better pics after the weekend.

Every time I seem to take a harder line I end up breaking something :teehee:

So we get to RattleRock. Jason says no way . . . good call . . . Joe says I'm back to stock shaft and stock ujoint on 36s so I'll pass and that left just me to attempt it.

Getting in took forever!! This rock was a nightmare for my puny Jeep with balding 35s :sonicjay:

So I finally made it to the red door!!

I got hung up here pretty good and had to pull winch. Not that both tires are off the ground.

And my rear bumper was also chillin on a rock holding me up. I really don't know how I managed this but I could have changed my oil very easily.

Also note that my rear sway bar broke so at this point the Jeep is feeling super tipsy . . . just added more excitement!!!

Right after this I got up on 2 wheels and came down FREEKIN SUPER HARD on my drive side rocker Knocker. I'll have to get a pic of the bent tube. RattleRock is not a rock crawling course. It's more of a lot of peddle Rattle your body around kind of trail. I actually had to get out of the Jeep and walk around for a few minutes because it basically felt like I was just in a car wreck :sonicjay:

So back to it.

The orange X is the top of the lower section. If you continue on there really is only one way to go and that's up. Some day I'll try that section. When I have a tube buggy on 40s or so. JeepBratts new jeep would be awesome to try it with. On this Trip, Nature actually closed it down with a huge tree that fell across it from the windstorm last week. It's going to take an army of guys to cut that tree up. I would love to come down here and actually watch the competition on this trail. See how it's really done . . . ya know! :beer:

And saying so long RattleRock

My awesome spotter showing off his bailout move!

Myself telling Joe and Jason how much that Trail "ROCKED" . . . Joe laughing at my utter disregard for the Jeep just to get it done son . . . and Jason thinking, "O yes, that trail will be mine someday, O yess, it will be mine!!"

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Part 3

So after that we went and saw some Windmills! They are 236' tall. The blades way 7-tons each and are 135' long . . . or in other words HUGE!!

Here are the rest of the pics if you're interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Drew.A.Green/WindrockFeb1416?feat=directlink

It was a fantastic trip and some of the best FEBRUARY wheeling I've ever done! I would love to have you guys join us next time!! We are wheeling in Jellico in May if anyone is interested :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Quality!

Damn, those windmills are kick butt looking! Someday I hope to make it off the trails and up to see them!

Both times we ran Rattle Rock, we pushed our group up over that big climb to the top of the first hill (before the trail turns left). That seems to be as far as we can get with a group of 6 rigs in about 6 hours. It's a tough b!tch!

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both times we ran Rattle Rock, we pushed our group up over that big climb to the top of the first hill (before the trail turns left). That seems to be as far as we can get with a group of 6 rigs in about 6 hours. It's a tough b!tch!
I quit before that. I'm sure you've walked up the whole trail . . . can you imagine making it to the top? :sonicjay:

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Sweet pics. Curt pmed me Saturday morning while he was waiting for the weather to clear. :teehee:

·
I got a gold chain
16,445 Posts
One of the best places I've ever wheeled.
Been there twice and still haven't seen the whole place.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
sweet pics, looks like a ford door you have a hold of. Was Cheap Thrill B2 there also.:sonicjay:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,555 Posts
I've been there once for 2 days. We were there for the UFWDA convention and the group was too diversified. We had about 10 rigs with anything from a stock blazer to a couple rockwelled 49" Irok jeeps. So we didn't get to do a lot of stuff but tour. Played on some rocks here and there but didn't run any of the actual trails like Rattlerock. I would love to go back for that.

·
I got a gold chain
16,445 Posts
I've been there once for 2 days. We were there for the UFWDA convention and the group was too diversified. We had about 10 rigs with anything from a stock blazer to a couple rockwelled 49" Irok jeeps. So we didn't get to do a lot of stuff but tour. Played on some rocks here and there but didn't run any of the actual trails like Rattlerock. I would love to go back for that.
Next time we go I'll let you ride bitch in my Jeep. At least until you get a little "seat time" in.:teehee:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts