Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need someone to look at the wiring on this and tell me if they see anything wrong. It was 24v and I switched it to 12v. I can manually make the motor run in both directions but not using the solenoids. I am not an electrician and don't want to burn anything up so.... Let me know your thoughts. In the last photo is a diagram I found.

If you want to see larger pictures go here

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the solenoids are 12v always have been, those solenoids are the originals from WARN and are stamped 12v from the 1980's. I pealed the rubberized coating off the solenoids and wiring because the OL sensor broke, 2 of the 3 fine wires came out of the bottom. You could run the winch for 2 to 3 minutes and it would shut down, you could bypass it by connecting the green wires coming from the bottom of the motor to the mosfet circut board to the remote. The sensor is no longer available through WARN and I was switching back and forth between 12 and 24v to run the winch. I bought a new motor from a large electrical supplier in Traverse City. Cross referenced the Prestolite MRV-C-3 motor also known as a M-12000; M-12000 is the actual motor reference name as well. Ended up with a WMS 119-7212 also known as a WAI 82-6865 depending on who you buy it from. Specs and data sheet indicate 4.8HP @ 3500RPMS @ 12V with thermal OL protection and w/ a 3 year warrenty for 160$ Not too shabby. This allowed me to eliminate the mosfet board that hasn't been made in 15 years and 24v system. Based on the research I was doing the solenoids in their current configuration should run the winch bi-directionally. I did test them while on the bench, all tested out fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After going out and playing with the winch today I have come to the conclusion it is a ground issue. I disconnected the power wires and was able to engage two of the solenoids using a positive battery lead. The other two I had to apply a negative lead as well to get them to engage. Now it is just a matter of dismounting the solenoids re cleaning everything. Something to keep in mind is that WARN winches of this era do not use a ground wire the solenoids themselves are the ground. In this case I think I may apply a ground to the secondary small lug. If someone has any thoughts post it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem got no idea what it is, going to get an electrician to see what the problem is, he's an old family friend maybe we can solve the problem. Have you already solved your problem if so, what was it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts