Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
ok i have to ask. when people do that, do they temporarily strap their axles in place so the suspension doesn't flex, or do they actually have no flex and think that their rigs are cool for standing up like a brick???

PS: who cares if it's a re post. i haven't seen it. after all, not all of us can spend as much time on here as you. :)

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Meh. I've done better...

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
ok i have to ask. when people do that, do they temporarily strap their axles in place so the suspension doesn't flex, or do they actually have no flex and think that their rigs are cool for standing up like a brick???

PS: who cares if it's a repost. i haven't seen it. after all, not all of us can spend as much time on here as you. :stanley:

If it's done going forward, it'll flop to the side. Going backwards gets that result. Just the way weight transfers in a leaf sprung jeep...

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
ive been looking for this.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
now i'm confused
what is confusing? Your Xgay has a 5 link front suspension so it transfers weight differently than something with leafs all around. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
1) it's not my XJ
2) it's not gay
3) it's not a 5link (how did you come up with that??)
4) he said doing it in reverse makes it so it doesn't roll or flex because of the weight transfer. but my original question was why does it stand up and not flex??? well in this pic the XJ doesn't flex. so how do they do that???

shit.....now i think i confused myself.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
1) it's not my XJ
2) it's not gay
3) it's not a 5link (how did you come up with that??)
4) he said doing it in reverse makes it so it doesn't roll or flex because of the weight transfer. but my original question was why does it stand up and not flex??? well in this pic the XJ doesn't flex. so how do they do that???

shit.....now i think i confused myself.

If I drive straight up to a tree with my right front tire and begin to climb, the RF tire will stuff and then weight of the engine will pull my LF down thus tipping me sideways and pulling my RR off the ground since it's the light spot while pivoting on my RF and LR.

If I drive backwards toward a tree with my RR, once I begin to climb the weight of my engine will keep both fronts planted on the ground and the LR will float in space since it's the lightest spot. Since there is no weight transfer side to side, I won't hardly flex.

And that XJ has a 5 link from the upper and lower control arms and some sort of panhard bar or track bar.

:beer:

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
the trac bar is the 5th link
unless it has a triangulated 4 link up front

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
the trac bar is the 5th link
unless it has a triangulated 4 link up front

No way someone calculated and engineered a triangulated 4 link up front and kept the rear leaves.

Unless... :bdr2::bdr2::bdr2::bdr2:

:sonicjay:

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
No way someone calculated and engineered a triangulated 4 link up front and kept the rear leaves.

no shit but you never know

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
i have done it with my tj 4 link rear 3 link front. any way front or back. did it with my friends yj front and back. depends on the tree.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Lots of people do this and its not all that uncommon to see somebody add leaves to the rear of TJs and so on. Some prefer them over coils or like certain combinations for reasons like predictability or stability.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Lots of people do this and its not all that uncommon to see somebody add leaves to the rear of TJs and so on. Some prefer them over coils or like certain combinations for reasons like predictability or stability.

Well sure I've seen leaves added in place of coils on TJs that still have reletively stock style suspension on the front. But if you're going out of your way to engineer from scratch a triangulated 4 link front, you're doing it to run air shocks or coilovers, or at least soft coils for flex and it'd be dumb to have that much more flex in the front than back.

IMHO... :beer:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
And that XJ has a 5 link from the upper and lower control arms and some sort of panhard bar or track bar.

:beer:

i guess that makes sense, but i've never heard it that way. i've always heard it as and refered to it as a stock 4 link, or a basic 4 link with trackbar.

even in magazines and advertisements i'm pretty sure they call it a 4link.

either way, doesn't really matter. i was more concerned with how you get the jeep to stand up like that. and yeah limiting straps is what i was thinking. cuz my suspension sure wouldn't let me stand up like that. i would flex and then flop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts