Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious if a suspension shop will take a junkyard spring, install new bushings and then install it on my truck. If so, about how much would this cost? Any recommendations for a good suspension shop?

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose I could do that. I tried to press the old bushings out on my own at work and I couldn't get it, I assumed that even with more people things still wouldn't go so well. If I can't get it by the time I get the rest of the truck done I guess I'll post a wanted.

Thanks CC and PP,

Bryce

42,948 Posts
I suppose I could do that. I tried to press the old bushings out on my own at work and I couldn't get it, I assumed that even with more people things still wouldn't go so well. If I can't get it by the time I get the rest of the truck done I guess I'll post a wanted.

Thanks CC and PP,

Bryce
Can't get the old bushing out? :confused:

torch?

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't tried that yet, will a straight propane torch work? Or does it have to be oxy-acetylene or like mapp gas or something hotter? Maybe I'm dumb, fires fire right?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
You can take a drill, and drill a few 1/4" holes through it first, then shoot the flame through the holes to burn them out faster.

Actually, I've removed them many times just with a drill and some work, but be careful, the bits can catch/wedge in there, and break real easy.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Also, be careful, wear goggle/glasses/face mask, if you have one. LOL, I had a pic somehwere where swampjeep was torching out a bushing, it exploded and left burned rubber all over his face. He looked like wiley coyote just had a bomb go off in front of him...

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, be careful, wear goggle/glasses/face mask, if you have one. LOL, I had a pic somehwere where swampjeep was torching out a bushing, it exploded and left burned rubber all over his face. He looked like wiley coyote just had a bomb go off in front of him...
Nice. Is it possible to torch out a bushing with the bolt still in place? Mine are both still there and that was 90% of the issue trying to remove the old bushings I think.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Yeah, you can do it with the bolt in place.

You can always take just the srpings to a place like John R spring service, they'll press them out and install new bushings...

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
Using an air hammer or chisel after torching it some will take the sleeve out pronto.

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't even realize there was a sleeve. Now I have to dig out my air hammer :(
I didn't end up needing my air hammer after all as there is no sleeve to speak of, there's some rusty metal that is flaking off of the sides of the inner part of the spring where the bushings used to reside but nothing resembling a sleeve.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on burning them out, worked like a charm. I just burnt them until I was able to get the bolts out and then pryed out what was left with a screw driver. My new bushings should get here around wednesday or thursday, I just hope I am to that point by then.

Bryce

1 - 18 of 18 Posts