Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
atv rider
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughter found 6 baby bunnies in the back yard today eyes still not open in there lil hole/bed. ive noticed a rabbit in my back yard the past week straigt but didnt think any thing of it till now and she hasent been aroud since friday ..... what should i do i called dnr and they gave me a local wildlife rescue person to call and she didnt answer so i left a message ... should i try to raise these lil buggers my self i have a large tank and i used to raise em when i was a lil guy in 4-H (many many moons ago) still rember some stuff about it but dunno what i should do seeing as there wild.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
do NOT touch them. Leave them alone and let the mother raise them. Once your scent is on the bunnies the mother will abandon or kill them.

·
atv rider
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to late for that daughter already did ... she broght them up to me in her chair shes 4 she doesnt know any better

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
leave them alone from here on out. It is possible the mother will just move them on her own also.

·
atv rider
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how long should she stay away from em ? she was hagin out in the back yard all day for a week straight and now i havent seen her for 2 days

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
do NOT touch them. Leave them alone and let the mother raise them. Once your scent is on the bunnies the mother will abandon or kill them.
Not true. That is just a line of bullshit you tell kids so they will leave them alone.

If the eyes aren't open, they are under 10 days old and would still be on milk. Good luck raising them... You need to bottle feed, stimulate them to pee and crap, etc... You are better off leaving them alone and check them every day or so to see if they appear to be eating. You will rarely see the mother on the nest during the day.

·
Full taste of tender
5,373 Posts
mommy might be someone elses lunch, or road kill :( maybe you should wait another day then call somone

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
how long should she stay away from em ? she was hagin out in the back yard all day for a week straight and now i havent seen her for 2 days
:( Mother is probably gone then. Best bet is the wild life rescue, but I would think something would need to be done soon if the mother has been gone that long and the babies aren't getting any nutrition.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
I have heard this before, but is it actually proven?
Just curious, not saying your wrong
Not true. That is just a line of bullshit you tell kids so they will leave them alone.
There is some truth in it. When I was a kid we did the same thing and the mother bolted. No one knew until we found the babies dead.

·
atv rider
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive noticed one of em is extremely jumpy ... dunno if that means any thing

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
hmmm good find.

www.rabbit.org

If you come across a nest of bunnies in the wild and the mother is no where to be seen, please DO NOT disturb them...this is normal. By removing them from the nest you are greatly reducing their chances of survival.

If your dog disturbs a nest or you find a wild bunny with its eyes open, please put him back if not injured. Mom will be coming back at night to call and feed him only once in the middle of the night. Do not take the bunny inside or feed him. That is the mom's job. IT IS A MATTER OF HIS/HER SURVIVAL AND UP TO US AS HUMANS TO LEAVE NATURE BE AND LET THE MOM CARE FOR HER YOUNG. We often hear of mothers moving their babies and their nests, and have seen moms come back every night for up to a week to look for her missing baby. Do not take the baby from the mom or she will be frantic.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
ive noticed one of em is extremely jumpy ... dunno if that means any thing
That means it is normal. Baby bunnies do that. They are almost like popcorn when they all get riled up. I raised rabbits for 12 years... If it wasn't getting fed, that would not be happening.

·
atv rider
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks scrambler ... think ima put some sticks over the bed and see if there moved tomorrow only thing that worries me is there in the direct sunlight so i dunno if i should give em shade or not ill take a pic if i can find my camera and post it

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Just don't mess with the nest any more, even if your daughter handled them, she will still take care of them. I hamburgered(picture the in your mind), most of a rabbit nest cutting grass one spring. I picked up the survivors, moved them under a junk truck we had in the yard. Finished cutting the grass, went back an hour later to check on them and mom had already moved them back to the nest area. How'd ya like that on your concious? I always double check long grass before I cut it now!!

·
atv rider
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well im pretty great full i didnt hamberger em as i mowed sunday

1 - 20 of 24 Posts