Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the Wii doesnt offer standard dvd playback, but Ive read a little bit about the "homebrew channel" mod which allows you to play DVD's. Has anyone done this and had good luck with it?

Does anyone use the Netflix feature on their Wii? Is there a minimum connection speed needed to make it work?

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
Pokerob wacked my Wii several times. He is good at keeping it in tip top shape.

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the market for a new console, but I'm not really huge into gaming, as i dont have time to be all hardcore and follow each game as it comes out and spend 26 of 24 hours a day on it. I am currently put up in a hotel in Seattle for another month, will be home for a month, then headed back up to Barrow (top of Alaska) until winter at least, then probably back next spring for the year at least. We don't have a ton of time off, but usually end up with 2-3 hours of relaxation time each evening. Watching a movie each night is pretty popular, but getting them can be a pain. Netflix works fairly well, but there needs to be three or four people doing it to get a new movie each night. If the netflix feature works well, then that is a possible huge advantage. Unfortunately, being at the top of the world with no physical link to the rest of the world, and satellites being finicky, sometimes the internet connection is minimal or non-existent. In this case its back to the DVD's, in which case you need a DVD player. Being in the middle of nowhere or on the road means random TV's which aren't always of ideal quality. for example the TV in my hotel here only has one COAX input a RCA video jack and a mono stereo. Not exactly ideal for blue ray or anything HD!! Due to the piss poor TV's and connectivity i have to deal with, the major advantages of a PS3 or XBOX360 are useless, and they are considerably more expensive than the Wii as well. They are also bigger.

If DVD playback or movie playback of any form are a good possibility, and reliable, I will probably be Purchasing a Wii shortly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts