Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the prob. I have a 1986 jeep cj 7 258 i6 with a 3 speed auto tranny.
It gets stuck in "park" and or drive when on an incline. The linkage is fine and I changed the tranny lube and filter. What do you think? is my tranny bad? How do fix the prob. Or is it worth it to buy a different tranny? Thanx fellas.

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah and that usually works but it gets stuck in "drive" when I drive up an incline and this is dangerous as I need the option of "reverse" if I need to retreat.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
IDK. Not to ask a stupid question but are you setting it prior to putting the vehicle in park as to not put the pressure against the parking gear?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
We had that issue, in a dodge caravan of all vehicles. I can't remember the issue, though, I was only like 14 at the time. If you parked on an incline, you used to have to push the van forward(uphill) a little to relive pressure to let you shift.

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We had that issue, in a dodge caravan of all vehicles. I can't remember the issue, though, I was only like 14 at the time. If you parked on an incline, you used to have to push the van forward(uphill) a little to relive pressure to let you shift.
Thats exactly it. If I rock the vehicle back and forth it will unlock but its alot of work and sometimes that dont work. Some times I have to hammer the lever that ataches to the splined shaft that comes out of the Trans. In fact this is how i know its not a problem with the linkage. I have some one try to shift the jeep to "neutral" while I hit the lever at the tranny and it shifts real hard. If it were a linkage issue between a person trying to shift at the collumn (top of the Linkage) and me hammering the lever (bottem of linkage) it would shift easily What did you do to fix the problem?

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
parking pawl has a groove worn in it that wont allow it to release. its internal and need to be repaired at a trans shop. a used one would be another route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts