Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Get off my lawn.
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 Jeep CJ7 6 cyl.

I am so fucking furious right now. Honestly, everytime I fix one thing on this pile of shit, 5 more things stop working. In the past year I have owned it, I've driven it maybe a 1/4 mile, if that.

So anyways, the "part of the month" that I can not fucking fix is the starter. I've shimmed the fucking thing about 20 different times and I can't get it to work right.

Last night I had the damn thing PERFECT. I started it and turned it off about 10 times, no problems. It was quiet as ever. The greatest i've ever heard it start before.

Then, I go outside today to start it and see if I can find the leak in my power steering, and what the fuck do you know, the starter sounds like a god damn train wreck.

What the HELL am I doing wrong here? I'm sick of replacing this fucking thing EVERY week. I've checked the flywheel and it's not missing any teeth to my knowledge.

Any ideas? :confused:

·
Get off my lawn.
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Jeep thing.
I have no idea what the hell I got myself into lol.

First the clutch burned out. I replaced that, then the transmission wouldn't shift. Fixed that then it wouldn't even start. Replaced every single part of the ignition only to figure out it was ONE single wire that bypassed the ignition module I didn't know about. Fucked up the radiator dropping the transmission one day. Headlights stopped working and I can NOT figure out why. I've gone through 3 starters now and can't figure out why they keep fucking up.

I bought the Jeep almost 10 months ago. I drove it for 2 months and had to replaced the clutch. In the past 8 months I have honestly driven it no further than 500 yards.

Fucking Jeep thing :poke:

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
just empty every pocket.......ive had my yj for a year now and so far i've replaced the clutch, clutch master cyl, slave cyl, starter, rebuilt the trans, 2 radios due to a leaking/rusted windshield, the rear end needs rebuilt and im running on 3 of the 4 cyl........more to list but i cant rember the rest

·
National Guard guy
1,063 Posts
You could always go old-school on a motor swap, and buy my 77 CJ-5 as the donor. :tonka:
Band new starter on it, never even used once, other than bypassing the ignition to crank over the engine.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Where did you get it from? (the starter)

Have you tried just getting a rebuild instead of a new one?

Is it shimmed correctly? What are the condition of the cables and ground?

·
Chillin with the top off.
4,891 Posts
I have no idea what the hell I got myself into lol.

First the clutch burned out. I replaced that, then the transmission wouldn't shift. Fixed that then it wouldn't even start. Replaced every single part of the ignition only to figure out it was ONE single wire that bypassed the ignition module I didn't know about. Fucked up the radiator dropping the transmission one day. Headlights stopped working and I can NOT figure out why. I've gone through 3 starters now and can't figure out why they keep fucking up.

I bought the Jeep almost 10 months ago. I drove it for 2 months and had to replaced the clutch. In the past 8 months I have honestly driven it no further than 500 yards.

Fucking Jeep thing :poke:

Sounds like you should stay out from underneath the hood.. Take it to a professional. :sonicjay:

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Is this a 258? I've never heard of putting shims on those starters, at least I have never had to, EVAR.

And about your head lights, a lot of the time the foot switch for the brights goes bad, and can cause you not to have any lights.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
how's the condition of the flywheel? on my old DJ there were 2 teeth missing on the flywheel and it would eat up a starter every time it happened to come across those missing teeth.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
How are you shimming an AMC starter? They use locating plates.

Do you have the starter locating plate installed on the back of the motor? This is a mandatory item that (for some unknown reason) people do not put back on the rear of the motor when reassembling the drivetrain.

If you don't use the locating plate, or yours is beat up for some reason, the proper relationship between the starter and ring gear will not be maintained and you will break ring teeth, kill the starter drive gear, etc.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Learn something every day. Never did a starter on a AMC, always just chebbys. I wondered if it were getting hung up and not releasing from the flywheel like it should.

·
Livin in Cal-tuckey
852 Posts
I agree with Deuce. It may be where you bought it from. I went through six alternators from Auto Zone before I got sick and tired of replacing them and just went to PepBoys and bought one. Never replaced it since.

Auto Zone is cheap and does have a warranty...I'll give you that...but thier products SUCK! It wasn't worth it to keep getting stranded all over hell and having to do repairs at gas stations at 3 am.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
I agree with Deuce. It may be where you bought it from. I went through six alternators from Auto Zone before I got sick and tired of replacing them and just went to PepBoys and bought one. Never replaced it since.

Auto Zone is cheap and does have a warranty...I'll give you that...but thier products SUCK! It wasn't worth it to keep getting stranded all over hell and having to do repairs at gas stations at 3 am.
time a billion

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
Problem is its the first year DC owned Jeep:poke:

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
As noted, pull things apart and inspect for damage.

Since you also had clutch and transmission problems, its certainly possible you've got another issue.

check the flywheel teeth for damage. Look to see if there's a funny wear pattern. Also see if its straight, might want to try to check runout. Might be warped.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
just empty every pocket.......ive had my yj for a year now and so far i've replaced the clutch, clutch master cyl, slave cyl, starter, rebuilt the trans, 2 radios due to a leaking/rusted windshield, the rear end needs rebuilt and im running on 3 of the 4 cyl........more to list but i cant rember the rest
Cut a plastic milk jug to make a watershed above your radio. Cheap, simple, and effective.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Cut a plastic milk jug to make a watershed above your radio. Cheap, simple, and effective.
seeing that i work at an airport and everything is time sensitive (ie silicone, grease, oil, etc) they threw out a bunch of silicone and i grabbed a tube to seal up the windshield until i get a new one......the sad thing is....all of the stuff they have to pich is still good un opends stuff

·
Get off my lawn.
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could always go old-school on a motor swap, and buy my 77 CJ-5 as the donor. :tonka:
Band new starter on it, never even used once, other than bypassing the ignition to crank over the engine.
I'm toying with the idea of building a 305 or 350 or something to throw in there. Two things holding me back; I don't know shit about rebuilding a motor, and the guy who does decided not to live with us anymore....

Where did you get it from? (the starter)

Have you tried just getting a rebuild instead of a new one?

Is it shimmed correctly? What are the condition of the cables and ground?
I got the starter from Autozone. Cables and ground are fine.

Sounds like you should stay out from underneath the hood.. Take it to a professional. :sonicjay:
I've been thinking about doing this. I've gone through so many problems with it though and I've been able to fix them myself, so why not work out this one myself and save the $$$. A couple more problems with it though and I'm towing that bitch to work. :tonka:

about your head lights, a lot of the time the foot switch for the brights goes bad, and can cause you not to have any lights.
I've recently taken that out and it's completely rusted/corroded to shit. I've tested the wires to it for power though and it's not getting anything.

how's the condition of the flywheel? on my old DJ there were 2 teeth missing on the flywheel and it would eat up a starter every time it happened to come across those missing teeth.
I inspected the flywheel about 2 weeks ago when I was messing around with the clutch/transmission. It's seemed to look fine.

The starter I keep replacing is from Advance Auto. The only reason I keep getting it from there is because I can walk in with the old one and replace it for free.

I actually work at Pep Boys so I'll have to S.O one from there and try that.

I talked to someone that said it's possible that the flywheel is crooked. Then, I talked to a guy from work that knows damn near everything about Jeeps and said something about the flywheel on the Jeep having a circular protrusion that fits into the block, so technically you can't really put it in there wrong. It will either fit it, or it won't. I can't remember if it did or not from the last time I put it on there.

Can anyone confirm that? I REALLY want to avoid dropping the transmission AGAIN. I recently moved and don't have a garage to work in. I'd have to do it in the back yard...

I guess for now I'll inspect the flywheel for missing teeth. Then I'll junk the POS starter from Advanced and pick up a new one from work.

Thanks for the help guys :rock:

·
Get off my lawn.
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How are you shimming an AMC starter? They use locating plates.

I picked up a shim like this one on the left.

That didn't do much, so I was told to use washers, one at a time.

As far as the locating plate, is that just the thin metal plate that goes between the trans/motor? If so, yes I am still using that. If not, I have no idea what you are talking about... :confused:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts