Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set of JCR stage II rocker protection for my TJ with a 4" lift and 33s.

like these

I was mocking them up to see how they were going to work and I'm not sure I want to lose that much clearance or add that much weight.

I was originally going to get the Poison Spider Rocker Knockers.

like these

Who has what and which do you like?

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
not buying but building mine.

similar to JCR but using 1x3 box steel and making it mount to the body and body mounts instead of the frame. also planning to tie it into a 1 inch body lift.

sorry if this doesn't help you in any way

42,949 Posts
What do you mean, lose clearance? The purpose of "sliders" is to "slide" along stuff so you don't damage your tub. :confused:

I have blue torch fab sliders, with a custom 3" space between the outside slider rail and the tub. These are like the PSC ones. I WOULD NOT have went with that style, unless I had planned on having JCR tie them in for added strength. This is one of my favorite things on my jeep, you can slide around trees and rocks, and since my tires stick out so far, you can slide down the obsticle, to your rear tire then use it as a pivot point.

Heres some pictures, along with the extra strength that JCR fabbed up for them. The cage ties into the sliders, as well as the frame.

Heres a photo of Daryl last weekend, it appears he is running the same sliders you purchased. Thats not a lot of "clearance" being lost.

Heres Sol Goodes jeep, he runs poison spider sliders.

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
I personally prefer the tub mounted style as opposed to the frame tie in. I have drug my body mounts from the frame across rocks that would have hung me up if I had tubing there. Getting hung up between 2 tires on 1 side and having them both hanging there turtling sucks.

The space between the tires at your rockers is a common place to pivot, slide, and occasionally bang. I understand the reason people would want frame mounted rockers as they are stronger.

I just believe that the extra few inches in that particular area is important and feel the strength of a tub mounted slider with a tube along it's length is plenty strong enough for a TJ.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
I loved my Rokmen's on my old TJ. They are the only ones that I know of that mount to the tub and fron wheel opening to wheel opening. Add in a set of reinforcements and they are super strong. Only down side of them was when you drilled threw the floor the mounting plates could been seen. But that is more of a cosmetic downside.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
It's really personal preference... I like (and we sell) the frame mounted ones because you can really beat the crap out of them.

Since they don't hang lower than your frame there isn't really any clearance lost, and honestly if you have a rock up into your tub mounted rockers, there is a darn good chance it's going to be too large to get your rear tire up and over.

I think the PSC and BTF ones look very cool though. and properly tied into a cage or a body mount they preform well too.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean, lose clearance? The purpose of "sliders" is to "slide" along stuff so you don't damage your tub. :confused:
Your sliders are even with the bottom of your tub, the JCR ones are at least a couple of inches lower! But you knew that and just wanted to post some more pictures of you actually wheeling! :poke: Or did you not know that if they don't hit the obstacle, you don't need to slide?? :tonka:

OK, thanks for the opinions. I am going with the JCR ones, at least for now. I was looking at it hanging down under the body a few inches and thinking it would be easier to get hung up. I will try them out and see. If I don't like them, removal is just a sawzall away.. :sonicjay:

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
I have the A To Z Fab rockers, which attach to the body.

No loss of clearance, and very, very beefy.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Why do all of of the rock sliders in pics posted have paint left on them :tonka:
Just kidding by the way... don't want to piss anyone off :sonicjay:

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
It's really personal preference... I like (and we sell) the frame mounted ones because you can really beat the crap out of them.

Since they don't hang lower than your frame there isn't really any clearance lost,
I agree. Mine are POOR BOY FAB. They are welded to the frame. They take abuse and have never failed me. No loss of clearance here.

·
I was born in the desert
1,719 Posts
Looks like a waste of time and money unless your playing on some huge rocks like this:

And even then I would be more concerned about the things hanging lower than the tub, like your pinion yokes, drive shafts, transfer case, transmission, gas tank, control arms and mounts, ect, ect....jm2c.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I have Jeeperman rocker steps. They're similar to the PSC and Shrockworks ones except with a step plate on top:

As for why to get the frame mounted ones. Simple, you can jack the vehicle up from them and also use them as a winch point if needed. There's lots of reasons really why the frame mounted ones are simply a better choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts