Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post up some pics! I'm curious to know how much HP you have to turn them, and what type they are. Are they worth it? As a side note, I would be interested to know how a stock or slightly modified TJ suspension handles the dunes, especially with paddles and HP.

Smiley posted this (are you here too?) in reply to a post I put on pirate. My build would look a bit like this. Sweet jeep:

http://www.oldfart.com/ftp/images/dune pics/paddles9.jpg

Attachments

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,158 Posts
Yup, I do. I run Sand Tires Unlimited 16.50's in the back and vipers in the front.

I am running a SBC, (actually have run them with a couple different ones) putting out about 350 hp.

When I bought them I talked to Chad at Appletrees and also the owner of Sand Tires Unlimited. They told me not to go bigger than the 16.50's until you get over 400 hp.

Quite frankly, mine seem to hook up perfectly. I can spin them but I can feel the motor working at times.

They are a blast! But, you gotta be able to spin them. You can't crawl with them since they dig too much. I can crawl much better with my Irok's.

Attachments

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
They are a blast! But, you gotta be able to spin them. You can't crawl with them since they dig too much. I can crawl much better with my Irok's.

I run boggers, which isn't %100 a paddle tire, but kind of close.

I needed speed, speed and more speed. Anything slow and the tires would just dig...

Great if you can feed the wheelspeed

Bad if you start from a stop facing uphill in soft sand and try to crawl

·
Registered
75 Posts
ok when i buy tires for my jeep what should i get going to use on street and silver lake and some trail riding ofcoarse. was leaning toward dc- crushers.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,158 Posts
ok when i buy tires for my jeep what should i get going to use on street and silver lake and some trail riding ofcoarse. was leaning toward dc- crushers.
hmmmm... what engine, gearing, lift, axles, how much you are willing to spend, etc all impact this.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A good set of paddles I looked at were nearly $500 each for a 16 inch rim. Never need to put paddles on the front. I doubt you will use your 4 wheel drive in the dunes. I didn't with the Tahoe and they are nearly street tires. Only one time I kicked it in 4 HI was to climb test hill - If I had paddles I wouldn't have needed to.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a set of scat trakk paddles if any one is looking to buy a set. There 33-17-15 I think there 15 paddle. super skoops. There mounted on 5 on 5 1/2
Jeep Ford Dodge. 15x16 wide. $350

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, I do. I run Sand Tires Unlimited 16.50's in the back and vipers in the front.

I am running a SBC, (actually have run them with a couple different ones) putting out about 350 hp.

When I bought them I talked to Chad at Appletrees and also the owner of Sand Tires Unlimited. They told me not to go bigger than the 16.50's until you get over 400 hp.

Quite frankly, mine seem to hook up perfectly. I can spin them but I can feel the motor working at times.

I sent you a PM, had some questions for you.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,158 Posts
Yeah, paddles alone are close to $500 each. Plus, to do it right you should run them on the lightweight aluminum racing wheels which are another $150 each. I think my rear set was just about $1400.

Yes, you will use 4wd with paddles at the dunes. If you don't you are missing out on alot of fun. We play follow the leader in the badlands area. Keep in mind that paddles need to be spinning and you need a moment to wind up the rpms. Thus the reason for the light weight wheels. When coming around a sharp corner following someone in 4wd even without paddles, they can hammer it and get up a hill. In 2wd it won't happen.

I started out running a set of 32x14.50 Mickey Thompsons on the front with the 33" tall paddles in the rear. When I bought the vipers I noticed a "tremendous" difference with holeshots and the tight & twisty stuff. I also notice a difference when my ARB front locker is engaged or not. It all boils down to traction.

For you guys wanting to run taller paddles, be careful. Typically the taller, the wider. And unless you have whopping hp to turn a 35-37" tall tire that is pushing 20" wide you will end up bogging down. Keep this single rule in mind........ in order for paddles to work they need wheel speed. Just like bottomless mud. How many 4 cyl guys have you seen stick big mud tires on their rig & then not be able to clean them out? Same concept.

On that same note, I run 37" Iroks for trail. I'm running pretty high hp and low gears. I notice a trememdous difference in performance and acceleration using the shorter tires. If you can only afford the rears, find a junk set of shorter front tires. Sure, mine looks a little hokey sitting high on short tires............ but you can't catch me.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts