Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Always chasing a big rack
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the beginning stages of a never ending YJ build up and it's about time to figure out what transmission I want to use. FYI it's a '90 yj with a 302, Toyota FJ60 front axle and probably a Toyota taco rear and dana 300 case. 35 15.50 swamper sx's.

I really want to use a manual because I'm sick and tired of blowing up autos. Manuals are also generally cheaper, and shorter. Hell a np435 is so cheap even if I did blow it up I could "throw it in the gutter and buy another":sonicjay: Did I mention they are cheap.

My only concern is the fact that I've never drove or even rode in a rig for that matter in the dunes with a manual. So how does a manual do in the dunes??

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Well, its a tricky question... a manual in my sand rail did just fine. A NP435 big ass slow shifting miles-between-gears gearbox is another story.

But I'd guess you have enough power and wide enough tires, you won't have any problems...

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
If your only worried about the dunes then run an auto. Just point and shoot.

That being said I have run a manual MANY times at the dunes without any issues whatsoever. Have also run several autos :) no complaints on either

·
Get Some
4,226 Posts
the manual in my sand rail has no problems, but it is also a very tight shift pattern.

·
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...

for the reassurance guys. The only reason in the world I haven't already bought a np435 is the whole "miles between shift" problem I've heard a lot about. I'm used to power shifting a t-5 mustang with a short throw shifter so this is gonna be a change to get used to.

This is gonna sound stupid but what I'm really wondering about is the logistics of the whole process. Lets make believe I'm in front of test hill all the way to the right side. Is it gonna be a matter of 2nd gear all the way up(or what-ever gear)or am I gonna have to be shifting gears? I know how momentum rules the day up there and I envision a slow shift killing me. Keep in mind I'm not interested in playing on the drag strip.

I know this is a hard question to answer with about a million variables but a general answer will suffice if anyone understands where I'm going with this.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I had to shift 4,3,2 in a 03 Rubicon in 4-lo on test hill. I think with my YJ I'd just put it in 4lo 2nd gear and forget about it. (better t-case ratio for sand)

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Hell yeah 435s shift slow as hell. I can bang gears all day long in my NV4500...
I just find myself keeping my 435 in 3rd gear, 4low. Thats a damn good combo in my rig and has accelerated my POS over some tricky obstacles...power was usable off idle to redline.
This was when I had 3.07s and a 2.72:1 case and 33s.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I had to shift 4,3,2 in a 03 Rubicon in 4-lo on test hill. I think with my YJ I'd just put it in 4lo 2nd gear and forget about it. (better t-case ratio for sand)

That, or the fact that rubicon is a ton heavier..

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
When my YJ had it's stock 2.5L and 35" tires my recipe for test hill was 4-lo and 3rd or 4th gear, accelerator to the floor bouncing off the rev limiter :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
for the reassurance guys. The only reason in the world I haven't already bought a np435 is the whole "miles between shift" problem I've heard a lot about. I'm used to power shifting a t-5 mustang with a short throw shifter so this is gonna be a change to get used to.

This is gonna sound stupid but what I'm really wondering about is the logistics of the whole process. Lets make believe I'm in front of test hill all the way to the right side. Is it gonna be a matter of 2nd gear all the way up(or what-ever gear)or am I gonna have to be shifting gears? I know how momentum rules the day up there and I envision a slow shift killing me. Keep in mind I'm not interested in playing on the drag strip.

I know this is a hard question to answer with about a million variables but a general answer will suffice if anyone understands where I'm going with this.
Depending on gear ratio in the axles I would say 2nd gear high range from the bottom to the top no down shift.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
3rd gear low range the whole way up test hill. Sufficient speed and still enough gear left if you need to get on the gas. Plenty of power.

·
825 Posts
in my 98 TJ 2.5 liter 4lo 2nd gear most of the way had to grab 1st just before the top. My 2.5 was a little tired.

·
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sold American!

Thanks guys I'm all but sold on a manual. I just didn't want to have to do a lot of gear banging up test hill. Sounds like I should be able to find my own "recipe" for test hill with out shifting. BTW Sandals I bet you have a lot of good recipe's:thumb:

Unless a built c4 or a c6 falls into my lap dirt cheap I'm going np435.

I would love to go with a nv4500 but they are $$$$$ and I could care less about over drive.

As far as my gear ratio I'm gonna be stuck with the stock FJ60 ratio of 3.73 for awhile.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
I don't think I ran test hill in 4lo ever. I'm kinda surprised that so many people on here said that they went up it in for low.

In my 89 YJ I would take it in 4hi in second or third with lots of speed. The Weber drying out was what I had to worry about . . . stupid carb!

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
with the stock '88 YJ 4.2L i rana 5 speed manual. Kept it in first gear for the hill climbs and did great. If you use 2nd gear ... you may get to the top and it will die so you have to be a quick shifter to downshift to first without loosing speed.... It can be done

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't think I ran test hill in 4lo ever. I'm kinda surprised that so many people on here said that they went up it in for low.

In my 89 YJ I would take it in 4hi in second or third with lots of speed. The Weber drying out was what I had to worry about . . . stupid carb!
Low range gives you more options. For me in my 4.0l tj, 3rd gear low gave me enough power to climb hills and still room in the gear to gas it if I wanted or needed to. Plus, you can use the gears more to your advantage on descents. Plus, it's easier on your clutch. Not everyone wants or needs to approach test hill "with lots of speed".

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Low range gives you more options. For me in my 4.0l tj, 3rd gear low gave me enough power to climb hills and still room in the gear to gas it if I wanted or needed to. Plus, you can use the gears more to your advantage on descents. Plus, it's easier on your clutch. Not everyone wants or needs to approach test hill "with lots of speed".
I agree. I've climbed it in 4lo but really didn't see the need when I didn't struggle in 4hi. Lots of speed being 30mph :sonicjay: I must be getting old when that's lots of speed

·
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Not everyone wants or needs to approach test hill "with lots of speed".
Right on...if I can't start at the base of test hill from a dead stop then I'm gonna be pissed. I didn't buy a 302 and 15.50 wide tires just to start a on a ramp a 1/4 mile away.

Also I wonder if people are comparing apples to apples here. The right side of test hill (if you were pointed towards it) is significantly harder to climb than the left side and in my experience requires a different approach.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts