Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I found out that the lady who hit me was from florida, so she obviously doesn't know how to drive on dirt roads.:sonicjay: She was also in a rental car and decided that getting the insurance on it was not important? Also since she was from out of state her insurance does not pay for the car because of michigan being a no fault state. Her insurance guy was so mad when he called. So she might have to pay $16,000 to the rental company for the car but they aren't sure. I guess she wont be coming to michigan anymore without her own car.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
saved me 9 grand on a uhaul, ill never not get it again. BTW it was because of CKY that I always got it to begin with. beatin the shit outta a rental car is half the fun

·
Your Message Here
5,857 Posts
Note that in NV, you can also be held liable for the rental car company's "loss of revenue" while the car is being repaired. I always get the insurance.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
thats not just in NV... i always get it its worth the piece of mind... i think it also covers you the entire time you have the car... i.e. you go skiing and fuck yourself up they cover you.. i am pretty sure at least enterprise does

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
i rent every time i travel and get the ins, great peice of mind, no miles on your car and if it breaks down you call enterprize and get another car , not waite around for it to be fixed

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
if you have a real insurance policy you don't need their insurance when renting a car, its redundant.

btw you seem to get in lots of wrecks, maybe you are the one that can't drive?

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
the guy who got in an accident last time he rented a car and was to cheep for rentall ins.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
your insurance almost always does not cover loss of income from the rental company and that will add up quick... and you would be shocked at what your auto insurance wont cover on the rental car if ya fuck it up.. kinda makes sense to me spend the extra $10 a day its a cheap gamble hoping you dont need it

·
Postal Scrambler
807 Posts
if you have a real insurance policy you don't need their insurance when renting a car, its redundant.

Ah yes, this may be true BUT just wait until you have to deal with the rental company, your insurance, the credit card company and the cops trying to get it all straight afterward! :finger:

We rented a car and had a Suburban come across the center line and wipe the front end off our Mountaineer (thank God for free upgrades!) I was like you and never got the insurance because it was "covered by my credit card".

Now it's important to note that this was in New Hampshire and it was all their fault, we were 100% in the clear as soon as the cops showed up, it was obvious and the other driver admitted it...

It was a NIGHTMARE dealing with all the shit getting paperwork done, sent, making phone calls, etc, etc, etc, etc. for the next MONTH. All for SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT.

I can't imagine what it would be like if we were at fault or it was a no fault state.

If we'd shelled out for the insurance, we could have just walked away and forgot about the whole damn thing without another second of inconvenience.

I always get insurance now (just the one that covers the car, not the medical junk) and it already paid for itself on a Penske rental truck.

Unless you rent A LOT of cars on your own dime, the ONE TIME you get insurance and need it will almost certainly pay for the other times you get it and don't use it, from someone with first-hand experience.

·
Postal Scrambler
807 Posts
I should add this one too. Same thing happened to my bosses (couple that own our company) rented a car, didn't get insurance, got hit by someone else (100% other person's fault and much worse than our wreck) and they were dealing with it for almost three months.

They like saving money and before this, wouldn't pay for rental insurance because our company card "covered it". We're all expected to get all of the insurance on rental cars now. The loss of time dealing with an accident isn't worth the savings we were getting because, of course, you'll have to do all of the calls/faxing/etc. during business hours...

·
booger eatin' moron
2,331 Posts
I hit a deer not too long ago with a rental car, called up the insurance company to let them know, paid the $100 comprehensive to the rental car company and have not heard a word since. Makes me want to go out and run down some more of them furry little bastards.

·
Postal Scrambler
807 Posts
I hit a deer not too long ago with a rental car, called up the insurance company to let them know, paid the $100 comprehensive to the rental car company and have not heard a word since. Makes me want to go out and run down some more of them furry little bastards.
You could have paid $9 or so to the rental car company and saved yourself a phone call and the hit on your insurance. :fish:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.