Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1841 - 1860 of 1860 Posts

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
the 4 to 1 tcase in my rubicon is not the best option for me personally, with
5.38s and 35s. low is way too deep for me. i dont wheel out west, or big rocks.
mine is more of an overland rig almost. it will be horrible at the dunes!

it was different in my juggy, cause i had the creeper 4 spd.
i used high range, 1st gear alot. i like wheel speed.

a 2.72 to 1 tcase would fit me much better.

i always thought an atlas highlander 3 to 1 case would be sweet!

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,635 Posts
Oh, me too! I don't know if I will like it or not. I'm quite used to sitting on a rock and using the rocker guard as a pivot point. I'm also sure that a couple times I may have flopped because my rocker is what kept me from going over.

Time will tell........

And yes, cutting the body is pretty scary. The directions that came with them sucked. They said to cut 2" below the door opening, then strike a 45 degree at front and back and then a straight line to cut the floor.

Well:
- the really meant 2" below the door jam indentation. I used the literal term of "door opening" and discovered I cut too high. Thankfully I still had enough meat to get the bolts in. But I'm going to cut the other side 3/8" lower.
- striking a straight line front to back to cut the floor would move the floor about 2" further than it should be in the higher area. (right under the seat) If I had done that I would have needed to add a patch plate back in.

I'm not going to button up the passenger side until I do the driver side so I can take better measurements. Not that the passenger side is bad, but I will be able to do the second side better.

Got time on them now. Opinions?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,106 Posts
Got time on them now. Opinions?
More good than bad but the boatsides have some down side to them. I've noticed several places where I clear that I would have drug in the past. (You witnessed this at the Badlands) Ground clearance is important! One thing I have noticed is that I tend to roll over onto my side more and without the side step I scrub my body armor more. And I lost the step to stand on while putting the soft top on and off.

I have pushed the side of the door opening in and out of shape. The boatsides are not as strong as the original sheet metal tub that is boxed by the rocker guard and also stiffened up by the side steps. I need to straighten it back out and add a small side step 3" wide but have not gotten around to it. I will definitely be doing it before I go back out west.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,635 Posts
More good than bad but the boatsides have some down side to them. I've noticed several places where I clear that I would have drug in the past. (You witnessed this at the Badlands) Ground clearance is important! One thing I have noticed is that I tend to roll over onto my side more and without the side step I scrub my body armor more. And I lost the step to stand on while putting the soft top on and off.

I have pushed the side of the door opening in and out of shape. The boatsides are not as strong as the original sheet metal tub that is boxed by the rocker guard and also stiffened up by the side steps. I need to straighten it back out and add a small side step 3" wide but have not gotten around to it. I will definitely be doing it before I go back out west.
:thumb:

The flopping thing is a concern. I know I've been saved multiple times by the step on the rocker. And even just taking that off, holy hell is it a lot more work getting in/out lol. I'll have to try and get creative reinforcing the tub etc.

I think I'm gonna line mine with a sheet of uhmw as well.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,106 Posts
:thumb:

The flopping thing is a concern. I know I've been saved multiple times by the step on the rocker. And even just taking that off, holy hell is it a lot more work getting in/out lol. I'll have to try and get creative reinforcing the tub etc.

I think I'm gonna line mine with a sheet of uhmw as well.
I like the sound of metal on rock. :sonicjay: Actually that does help to determine how hard you are in to something.

I’m also going to tie back into my cage / seat support to support the door opening.

·
Banned
7 Posts
suggestion

I realize I've been spared on different occasions by the progression on the rocker. What's more, even simply taking that off, blessed damnation is it significantly more work getting in/out lol.

1841 - 1860 of 1860 Posts